Server Maintenance This Week. ×

value from last visited: repeating fields

This topic is 4842 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi-

Is there a way to set a repeating field to automatically import ALL the values from the last record visited? By default only the value from the first repetition is entered. If the default behaviour can't be set, can anyone supply a script that will accomplish it?

I'm working with FP pro 9

Thanks,

Jondb

I doubt that you should be using repeating fields. They are a holdover from the early days of FM (before relationships to child tables), and are using in special circumstances now.

So, why are you using a repeating field and not a portal to related table?

I doubt that you should be using repeating fields. They are a holdover from the early days of FM (before relationships to child tables), and are using in special circumstances now.

So, why are you using a repeating field and not a portal to related table?

Errm... laziness I suppose. I have a lot of fields returning values from the same drop-down list, and it's just a lot quicker to create one field than many the same. It's also a lot quicker to place on a layout. I didn't think of creating a separate table and using a portal - this is probably a better option.

I presume your reply means that there's no simple way to set up the repeating fields the way I want them?

J

None of these statements are true.

There is no need to create multiple fields and there is no difficulty placing them on a layout.

You create a related TABLE; and you define a relation from this table to the "parent" table.

You place a portal on the layout; and place a single instance of each field in the first row of the portal.

The advantages of a proper relational design are simple to achieve and have been available in FileMaker for years.

It is very unlikely that anybody here will help you go in a direction you just shouldn't be going.

Is there any chance you can post a clone of your file or a screen shot?

What is the nature of this file, and what is the task you are performing when duplicating a repeat row?

If you really do need to duplicate a row record, with a related table you merely go to the related record in the correct layout; and duplicate it.

The advantages of a proper relational design are many, and they are easy to achieve.

This topic is 4842 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.