Filemaker 3 conundrum

This topic is 4788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

There's this old Mac G3 (OS 9.2) at the office where i recently discovered a very useful (for me) database made using FM3 and I trying to find a way of openning them in a newer version of the same program.

Funny enough the "newer" version is the 6.0.

How can I do it? I've tried exporting in many different available formats but all I always get on the newer version (which is in a computer running OS X Leopard) is a unreadable UNIX file. Is there anywhere I can maybe download Filemaker 4 (which seems to be compatible with the version 3)? That way I would be able to save it in FM4 format (which in turn is compatible with FM5 and so forth...). Upgrading is definitely an option but not before I rescue this database. I'm also open for suggestions.

Thanks a lot!

• Newbies

Filemaker 6 should be able to open your .fp3 file directly, converting it to .fp5 in the process.

Version 4 uses the same file format as version 3 (.fp3) and no conversion is necessary.

Didn't work. What am I doing wrong then? I used the "save as" option and did not change any options at all.

I still get the UNIX file when i copy it from the G3 (using an USB key, please tell me that isn't the problem)

I was trying to attach it to the post (it's circa 25MB) but it kept giving me an error message so i did the next best thing, a screen capture of the file with the info window next to it (it's in italian, sorry...)

EDIT: Nevermind! I found out the problem the lack of extension. After i added the .fp3 it worked as you said. Thanks a lot!

Immagine 1.jpg

Edited by meganoob

Hi Megan, and welcome to the Forum,

Do you have full access to in Access Privileges?

File >> Access Privileges >> passwords

In your attachment does it say Read and Write, I don't know what these two word are?

HTH

Lee

p.s., we have a Migration Topic, so I'm going to move this thread there in a few minutes.

Lee

This topic is 4788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.