Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Very Basic Issue

adyf

This topic is 4811 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an <index missing> message on a field that I'm trying to relate to in another table. I'm only trying to match the Assessors title with Assessors name on a form,this information is stored in a table called Assessors. The relationship for 'Assessor' goes from the Assessor table to the Assessments Comments table via the Rules Assessment Exam table. This should still work shouldn't it?

b2d5966b307dfd2dc3c8ed61e2e3ea17228d1e6d

162c201e6f25a525a83befde375fa829b89992a0

Is a relationship between two tables via another table just as valid as a direct relationship between two tables? Just want to rule this out of my above problem.

I would suggest adding auto-enter numerical keys for all your records. You seem to be relating tables by user-entered text values (and that's a very poor design).

Also, how about reading up on approaches to the relationship graph JonathanStark Blog? There are several methodologies available.

Index missing is typically a sign of an unstored calc on the bottom half of a relationship. Hard to tell what you're doing, really.

Yes. Standard operating procedure. Then, redo your relationship to use those numeric keys.

May I ask just one more basic question please? With my query above, how will a relationship built on numeric keys match an 'Assessors Name' from one table to an 'Assessors Name' in another and pull in 'Assessors Title'? Quite wrongly as you have pointed out I have always related matching text fields, 'Assessors Name' in this case. I'm finding database structure the hardest thing to get my head round but intend to persevere.

This topic is 4811 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.