Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Entering records through portals

dewiniaeth

This topic is 4801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm working on a simple database to keep track of workflow and invoices for my transcription business. I'm working on creating an invoice portal, very similar to the one in the invoice starter solution, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to work properly. In an invoice table, I want to reference the name of a typed document, and also bring up other relevant information about that file (file length, transcript cost, etc.) This all works fine for me when I put forms into my layout without the portal. I type the file name as a foreign key and all the relevant information from the other tables comes up in the other fields...

But when I'm trying to do the same thing within a portal, I get all sorts of results. I type the document name into the first column and row of the portal. I get results. Good. But the same file name automatically appears in the second row. And when I attempt to put another document name into that field in the second row, but the 1st row changes to duplicate the second row. The option to add data to the third row doesn't come up at all. It seems that the foreign key field just keeps self-referencing itself...

I just started learning Filemaker a few days ago so there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge and I'm not completely sure what information to offer that would help you understand my issue. If I can answer any questions that would make this easier, I'd be happy to.... thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 4801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.