Adapt existing solution for FM Go

This topic is 4775 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have not yet purchased FM Go but it looks like it could be a good solution for one of my user groups who "go on the road".

I have many databases hosted on FMS 10, but I only want my "FM Go" group to have access to one of them, and within that, a limited amount of data.

The existing solution uses the separation model, so the data is on FMS and all the layouts and scripts are on their local computers. The reason for using this model was to minimise the communication traffic over fairly poor remote area connections (which are gradually improving over time). They use an opener file to get it all going.

Each user can only view data related to their region, which is controlled via the on open script. I have also developed custom menus which are dependent on their privilege sets.

I was looking for a general topic which explains how existing solutions might best be adapted for FM Go, but I couldn't locate one. If there's one available, could someone point me in the right direction? I would also appreciate specific advice on the separation model and FM Go.

Reading some of the existing documentation it looks like I might run into difficulties with custom menus and I'm worried that my users will be able to view more information than they can currently, such as a list of all databases available on the server. Am I wrong? I don't want to select the "don't show" option because some of my other users directly use the Open Remote command and need the list. I accept that I might be totally misinterpreting it all!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

btw, I am about to upgrade to FMP11 and FMS11.

thanks

This topic is 4775 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.