Baseline Performance

This topic is 4788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying get an "accetable" baseline for my FMS Stats.

For example What are the normal Wait Time/Call and Elapsed Time/Call ratios both average and peaks?

Is there a white paper on this?

My statistics are : My statistics

Our server has been notable slower (We've added an extra 40 files recently)

also: Is there any recommended ways of increasing server speed, that has worked well in your experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Is there any recommended ways of increasing server speed, that has worked well in your experience?

As a starter be sure that the maximum amount of RAM is set to be reserved for cache. If your machine has 4 GB in stalled RAM, the maximum cache amount is 800 MB. Beyond that higher quality drives and more CPU horsepower. Finally, database design and architecture is a key factor, not to mention network configuration starting at the NIC cards and moving outwards.

Steven

It's impossible to tell you what good numbers for your deployment would look like. It depends on:

- the quality of your hardware

- quality of your network

- design and nature of your solution

- # of users

Your peak numbers are very high, especially the i/o. Is that server dedicated to FMS or is there something else running on it too? How fast are those drives and how much free disk space is there?

If you're on Windows also enable Performance Monitoring to include all 3 classic bottlenecks: CPU, Network, Disk. Also add available memory to see if it doesn't decrease too much.

Is the server generally faster after a reboot?

It's impossible to tell you what good numbers for your deployment would look like. It depends on:

- the quality of your hardware

- quality of your network

- design and nature of your solution

- # of users

Your peak numbers are very high, especially the i/o. Is that server dedicated to FMS or is there something else running on it too? How fast are those drives and how much free disk space is there?

If you're on Windows also enable Performance Monitoring to include all 3 classic bottlenecks: CPU, Network, Disk. Also add available memory to see if it doesn't decrease too much.

Is the server generally faster after a reboot?

Thanks for guidance, heres some information that might give you a better picture.

We are using a WAN implementation.

We have an xserver 2 GHz Dual-Core Xeon with approx 25 mbps down and 21 mbps up, The server have super container on it so it will transfer 4 to 20 images a day (relatively small jpegs)

We have 14 gigs of RAM, with 15000 rpm SAS drives. We have around 35 users with 75 files.

The clients seem to have good download speeds ( 5Mbps down), but using a common speed test online, their uploads speeds seem to fluctuate between .01 Mbps and .65 Mbps .

f1lvq.png (a more current version of the statistics )

The help is most appreciated

This topic is 4788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.