directing output to 2 different printers

tomp

This topic is 4766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to script the following situation for my users:

I do not in general know the names of the first printer. I do know the name of the second.

Most 'prints' got to the first printer. One 'print' needs to be directed to a second printer.

I want the scripted 'print' steps to be done with 'no dialog'.

The user assigns the printer name for the 1st printer when the system is installed.

I then use 'print setup' to change to the 2nd printer when it's needed since I know its name.

How do I get the 'print' script step with the 'no dialog' option to send subsequent 'prints' back to the 1st printer whose name I generally can't script?

If seems if I could do a 'set var' to 'Get (printer name)' for the first printer, and then use the $var in the 'Print Setup' 'Name' field when returning to the first printer, the problem would be solved. But I don't see a way to use a $var in the 'Name' field of 'Print Setup'.

Am I missing something? Or is there another way to do this?

• 3 weeks later...

When you save the Print step with no dialog in FM v11, it saves the printer selected with the script step. You can verify this by printing the script code. You just have to make sure all users have the printer name specified the same way you do and that it is configured to begin with on their machine. When you get into advanced printer configuring, especially on Windows, you'll likely need a plugin such as myFMButler's printerswitch.

HTH.

I need to script the following situation for my users:

I do not in general know the names of the first printer. I do know the name of the second.

Most 'prints' got to the first printer. One 'print' needs to be directed to a second printer.

I want the scripted 'print' steps to be done with 'no dialog'.

The user assigns the printer name for the 1st printer when the system is installed.

I then use 'print setup' to change to the 2nd printer when it's needed since I know its name.

How do I get the 'print' script step with the 'no dialog' option to send subsequent 'prints' back to the 1st printer whose name I generally can't script?

If seems if I could do a 'set var' to 'Get (printer name)' for the first printer, and then use the $var in the 'Print Setup' 'Name' field when returning to the first printer, the problem would be solved. But I don't see a way to use a $var in the 'Name' field of 'Print Setup'.

Am I missing something? Or is there another way to do this?

This topic is 4766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.