Finding a 10,000 items out of list of 200,000

This topic is 4786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone,

I'm not entirely a noob at FM -- in the past I've manage to build some sophisticated databases. But now I am up against a unique challenge where I don't even know where to begin.

Here's the scenario.

I have a master list of 200,000 people in my FM database.

I have a second list of 10,000 people I have contacted that have responded to me in an excel file.

I need to search each of the responders email addresses against the master list -- each contact has an email address in there.

I want to look up each of the responders on the master list - find them all, and then enter a value into a specific field - i.e., the date into the DateResponded field.

Obviously I'm working with such large numbers that I can manually do a find of each one.

Any recommendations on how I can do this?

Thank you very much!

Best,

Manish

The obvious way to do this would appear to be to import your Excel records into a new table then create a relationship between that table and the one containing the 200,000 records. From your description that relationship would be based on the email address. You could then create calculation fields based on that relationship that would show things like the number of responses and the date of the response which would allow you to sort them and extract what you need.

I'm pretty rusty so I hope I'm on the right track,

Norman

This topic is 4786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.