Startup Script without Login?

This topic is 4787 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to initiate a startup script without the pesky login dialog? In File Options... it appears you can turn off the log-in system, but it still pops the dialog asking for the admin PW. Any work-arounds for this?

No, you cannot turn of the log-in system. You can set the file to auto-log-in using a defined username and password int he File Options.

May I suggest you better explain what you want to do and why.

I'm developing a prototype for a commercial utility/DB that will be marketed to dentists. As a productivity booster, my app must be simple and easy to use. I'd prefer to have no login screen at all. The Startup routine shows a 4 sec. splash screen with the usual corporate info, while the background stuff loads. That drops you into an entry layout.

That's my interface design...

I don't know FM well at all, as I started this project recently after a 20 year hiatus from programming. In 4D, you could bang out code for this in 10 minutes.

In 4D, you could bang out code for this in 10 minutes.

I can select the File Options > Log in checkbox in 5 seconds.

I can select the File Options > Log in checkbox in 5 seconds.

That checkbox doesn't work. Perhaps you misunderstood the thread... There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the login dialog when you implement a startup script. Makes little sense that the FM Options screen gives you a choice to turn the login on or off, but it doesn't matter which you select- login dialog still comes up.

In 4D you had total, complete control over the entire interface, layouts etc.. My point is that FM is not as flexible.

The login dialog is not controlled by the startup script. It's a separate checkbox. Also, the account/password that you specify in the file options has to be defined in the security options, or the login dialog will still appear.

If you're talking about the application's splash screen (not a dialog), there's nothing we can do about that short of hacks AFAIK.

4D is still around, so I have to ask, why are you using FileMaker if you prefer 4D?

I'd prefer to have no login screen at all.

The login screen is for authentication: security to protect confidential data in the file from theft. I think it's pretty important to leave it in and make it work correctly.

This topic is 4787 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.