User selected fields in a report

This topic is 4786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello again,

Is there a way to have users select (either with a check box next to the field name, or by clicking the field name itself etc) a field and have it appear on a new layout as a report? Depending on what the user wants to see, they may select different fields everytime they want to do a report.

For example...

I have a layout that contains about 40 fields. I want the user to be able to perform a find within that layout, then select the specific fields they want to see reported.

If the user wants to see how many sales a particular sales person has achieved in a particular month, show the individual sales and have a total dollar value shown on a printed report, they would select the sales person in the sales person field, the month in the month field and then perform the find. They may then want a report that shows them...

The Salesperson's Name

The Branch the Salesperson Belongs To

The Customer they Sold To

The Individual Sales Amount, and

The Total Sales Amount

They then (somehow) select the fields they want the report to have, and then hit a "go" button and the report magically happen.

As I said at the beginning, there could be any number of fields the user could select. I know I could use the table view button, but that shows me all fields in the table.

I hope this makes sense.

As always, thank you in anticipation.

Do you know how to hide a field/content on a layout? The old method was a calculated field used in a relationship, then put content in a portal based on that relationship. There is also a new method using a filtered portal.

For the report, you may be able to use a table layout with all possible fields; then just hide the ones you don't want to show? I don't think I've ever tried hiding content in table view, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

If you need more info on how to hide content on a layout, just search for it; there are plenty of resources that explain much better than I did/can.

This topic is 4786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.