Windows 7 / Outlook 2010 / FM 9

dd888ab

This topic is 4029 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Please help!

Our work is deploying Windows 7 Enterprise which comes with Outlook 2010. I'm a test terminal and we have FileMaker Pro 9 (we have absolutely no budget to upgrade, unfortunately).

My prior configuration was Windows XP with Outlook 2007 and FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced which created emails perfectly via script with no problems.

With Win 7 and Outlook 2010 the script cycles through, but no dialog and no new email message comes up (and nothing gets sent out since we have to click the 'send' button in the outlook email message).

Going to the File menu and sending an email that way (no script step), I'm able to do it...however a dialog box from Outlook comes up each time asking to 'allow' it (this was just for testing, we need to script automate our emails).

My IT guy tried trust center, etc, but can't seem to find a solution. Has anyone else encountered this issue? We will be deploying to Win 7 this year, which means if this is not fixed nobody in my unit can send emails via filemaker and it will be a huge operational snafu.

Thank you in advance!!

ALSO: I tried this at home with FM Pro 9 and Windows 7 Ultimate with Outlook 2010 and I encountered the exact same issue. So I'm assuming it has something to do with Win 7 and/or Outlook 2010...however this is so odd since all Filemaker is doing is asking for a new email message to be created in Outlook.

... we have FileMaker Pro 9 (we have absolutely no budget to upgrade, unfortunately)

The money will have to be found, because FMP 9 is not certified for Windows 7. I don't think FMP 9 is compatible with Windows Vista. There are printing bugs in FMP 9 (under Windows) that were fixed in FMP 10.

Download the trial version of FMP 11 (free) and test to see if the problem persists.

The money will have to be found, because FMP 9 is not certified for Windows 7. I don't think FMP 9 is compatible with Windows Vista. There are printing bugs in FMP 9 (under Windows) that were fixed in FMP 10.

FMP 9 is compatible with Windows 7, I just don't understand why it cannot create an email like it did under XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Filemaker%20Pro%20Professional&v=FileMaker%2C%20Inc.&uid=9&pf=0&pi=4&c=Enterprise%20Applications&sc=Business%20Intelligence%20%26%20Data%20Management&os=64-bit

I have also used FMP 9 under Vista with no problems, to include email.

FileMaker Inc. certified FMP 9 will run under Win 7.

The Microsoft site states Win7x32 compatibility - in other words it runs on Win7x32 (NB NOT x64)

It DOES NOT say that it is compatible with Outlook 2010, and the following link provided by FileMaker shows that they never tested Win7, as it hadn't been released then.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6215/~/system-requirements-for-filemaker-pro-9-filemaker-pro-9-advanced

Upgrade is your only option.

The Microsoft site states Win7x32 compatibility - in other words it runs on Win7x32 (NB NOT x64)

It DOES NOT say that it is compatible with Outlook 2010, and the following link provided by FileMaker shows that they never tested Win7, as it hadn't been released then.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6215/~/system-requirements-for-filemaker-pro-9-filemaker-pro-9-advanced

Upgrade is your only option.

My apologies for the link, I copied the URL on the 64 bit tab, however we are 32 bit. According to both MS and FM, they confirmed FMP 9 runs on W7.

In regards to Outlook 2010...that doesn't make sense, especially since nothing really changed in the back-end between Office 2007 and 2010...of which 2007 worked perfectly.

Either way, upgrade is not an option. I can understand if you are awash with money that is an easy statement, however has anyone seen the economic situation out there? We are on the verge of layoffs and I can't even get a 3 hole punch approved, let along five FMP upgrades or full packages.

Suppose I can do a bake sale...

According to both MS and FM, they confirmed FMP 9 runs on W7.

I don't know where you got that information from.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4701/

The earliest version of that is certified for Windows 7 is FMP 10.0v3 (that is, 10.0v2 and earlier are NOT certified). FMP 9 is NOT certified for Win7.

FMP 9 may "run" in WIndows 7 but some things may not work work, or may work intermittently. These issues won't ever get fixed.

I don't know where you got that information from.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4701/

The earliest version of that is certified for Windows 7 is FMP 10.0v3 (that is, 10.0v2 and earlier are NOT certified). FMP 9 is NOT certified for Win7.

FMP 9 may "run" in WIndows 7 but some things may not work work, or may work intermittently. These issues won't ever get fixed.

From Microsoft themselves who talked to Filemaker which stated such. Our FMP 9 works beautifully in all scripts, functions, etc. minus the send mail function... absolutely no other issues.

Either way it's a mute point...Filemaker Pro 9, 10, and 11 working in Windows 7 with Outlook 2010 DOES NOT appear to work with the send mail script step no matter the version. And according to some other threads, this was an issue with 11 and Outlook 2011 in Mac where they had to produce a new version patch...so it appears this is on Filemakers side to produce a fix. We can talk about what is certified for W7 till we are blue in the face, however the issue remains in all versions with Outlook 2010 for Win.

My point is that FMP 9 on WIndows 7 is NOT SUPPORTED by FIleMaker Inc, which is different from "running" on Windows 7. Heck, FMP 6 still "runs" on Windows 7. But every now and again things don't work quite right.

I did a Win7 deployment with a company last year, and there ARE problems with FMP 9, you just haven't found them yet. There is a bug with long printer names that was only fixed in FMP 10.

Besides all that, FMP 9 is old now. FMP 10 introduced a major interface change (status area moved to top of window) and brought script triggers, amongst other things.

My point is that FMP 9 on WIndows 7 is NOT SUPPORTED by FIleMaker Inc, which is different from "running" on Windows 7. Heck, FMP 6 still "runs" on Windows 7. But every now and again things don't work quite right.

I did a Win7 deployment with a company last year, and there ARE problems with FMP 9, you just haven't found them yet. There is a bug with long printer names that was only fixed in FMP 10.

Besides all that, FMP 9 is old now. FMP 10 introduced a major interface change (status area moved to top of window) and brought script triggers, amongst other things.

Once again I'm glad you and your company are flush with money to upgrade while others are being laid off their jobs. Upgrading is not an option, period. And we don't have long printer names and everything else was tested without issue.

And all that solves the 'send mail' function issue how? Nope it doesn't. FileMaker 11 has the SAME ISSUE with Outlook 2010 (in-fact it's a recognized issue with Outlook 2011 for Mac...so it's FileMakers issue).

I'm done with this thread...sad that just spewing out 'upgrade' is an option when it doesn't even address the main issue of this thread.

It means that when a fix for Outlook 2010 is released by FileMaker Inc it will be for FMP 11. FMI rarely issues updates for earlier versions.

If the company has money for Win7 upgrades there is money for FMP. Look into the annual licenses and see how cheap they are.

BTW the issue with printer names includes the name of the print server too.

And all that solves the 'send mail' function issue how? Nope it doesn't. FileMaker 11 has the SAME ISSUE with Outlook 2010 (in-fact it's a recognized issue with Outlook 2011 for Mac...so it's FileMakers issue).

Please see the latest v3 updater that fixes the Mac version problem with Outlook 2011. Maybe this also addresses the Win problem.

• 1 year later...

HERE's the FIX!!!

So Microsoft was tired of spammers leveraging outlook and sending mail so they made this really hard to fix.

You can't just change the programatic security (trustcenter) settings, no they made it harder than that... you have to edit the registry.

You have to manually edit the registry.

Add the following key to the registry (create the key if it doesn't exist):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOffice14.0OutlookSecurity

Use the following value:

ObjectModelGuard, DWORD =2

If the key above does work, you could try the set of keys below. If the keys don't exist in the registry, you'll need to create them.
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftOffice14.0outlooksecurity

PromptOOMSend, DWORD  = 2

AdminSecurityMode, DWORD = 3

Here's the link to the webpage that has some more details.

Another solution is to do this, use this 3rd party solution, which I haven't tried but 

Here's a couple more links talking about the same solution for you.

In that article they recommended slighly different settings.

This issue is because of the enhanced security features of Outlook 2010.

Create following registry key and Dword values to resolve it:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftOffice14.0OutlookSecurity

Dword: PromptOOMSend

Value: 2

Dword: PromptOOMAddressBookAccess

value: 2

Dword : PromptOOMAddressInformationAccess

Value:2

Dword: PromptOOMMeetingTaskRequestResponse

Dword: PromptOOMSaveAs

Dword: PromptOOMFormulaAccess

Dword: PromptSimpleMAPISend

Dword: PromptSimpleMAPINameResolve

Dword: PromptSimpleMAPIOpenMessage

Value : 2

Lastly this article.

This topic is 4029 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.