using dependent dropdown list

This topic is 4770 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

i generated a file, using php site assist, to add a record to my fm database.

The problem I have is that one dropdown content is dependent on another dropdown list.

for example I have a dropdown list of different sports (basketball, soccer, tennis) and then once that is chosen, in the second dropdown list contains the different teams of that particular sport.

In fm itself and with IWP it works like a charm, my relations are all correct and working. Now the questions is, how do I do that with php?

that's the code site assist generated for the dropdowns:

<td class="field_data">

<?php $fieldName = '_k2_wedstrijdID';?><?php $fieldValue =          $record->getField('_k2_wedstrijdID', 0) ; ?><select

class="fieldinput" name="<?php echo getFieldFormName($fieldName, 0, $record, true, 'POPUPMENU', 'number');?>">

<?php $menuOptions = getMenu($layout->getValueListTwoFields('wedstrijdnamen', (isset($master_record)) ? $master_record->getRecordId() : $record->getRecordId()), $fieldValue, $fieldName, 'number', $submitDateOrder);

if ($fieldValue == "") {

$selected = "selected";

} else {

$selected = "";

} 

$selected = "selected"; 

$menuOptions .= "<option value='' $selected></option>";

echo $menuOptions;?>

</select> 

</td>

for the second dropdown its allmost the same:

<td class="field_data">

<?php $fieldName = '_k2_ploegid';?><?php $fieldValue =          $record->getField('_k2_ploegid', 0) ; ?><select class=

"fieldinput" name="<?php echo getFieldFormName($fieldName, 0, $record, true, 'POPUPMENU', 'number');?>">

<?php $menuOptions = getMenu($layout->getValueListTwoFields('ploegen', (isset($master_record)) ? $master_record->getRecordId() : $record->getRecordId()), $fieldValue, $fieldName, 'number', $submitDateOrder);

if ($fieldValue == "") {

$selected = "selected";

} else {

$selected = "";

} 

$selected = "selected"; 

$menuOptions .= "<option value='' $selected></option>";

echo $menuOptions;?>

</select> 

</td>

Thank you all for your help!

greetings

The only way I could think of doing this is to use ajax http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.get/ You would have to create a script that you can pass the value of the first drop-down list to; that script would have to perform a search of some sort to get the related values. Then you call that script via javascript when the first drop-down input is changed, and use the script return result to change the available options for the 2nd dropdown.

I'm curious to see if anyone has any other ideas of how to do this.

• Newbies

Thx for you reply Dansmith65, I'm also thinking this is the only way to do it....

Do you have any idea where i could some example scripts of this or maybe a tutorial :s ?

or do you think it will be possible by using fm scripts?

thx & grtz!

Since the web page content needs to change after the page has loaded, I don't think you can do it with FileMaker scripts. (at least, not ONLY with FileMaker scripts)

I don't know of a tutorial; you may be able to find something if you search for it. I recently used Ajax for the first time, and utilized the jQuery documentation I already gave you a link to.

This topic is 4770 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.