Not the average Inconsistency Problem

This topic is 4588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I know much about File Inconsistency Errors and that one should not continue to use a recovered file as bits of script etc can go missing with the recover command. I use FMS 9,02 and CLients v8,5 in this case (Update is on order).

I have a special case here though.

I have a relatively large FLAT file with 800 fields in a record and 20000 Records that I inherited from another developer.

The file sometimes gives me an Error 640 Failed Inconsitency Check (805) when the FM Server tries to back it up at night.

The file is working without complaints though.

So I do the necessary: I take the file, compact it and then, all is well again for 1-2 weeks, no errors. Then it does it again so that doesnt permanently fix the problem. So this annoys me. Its my only file giving me grief.

As it keeps reappearing I have tried other things. I made a clone, compacted that, transferred all the data with imports into that file, and it worked again for 1 week, then gave the error again. Last but not least I tried what one should NOT do: I tried a recover, checked all the code and layouts and stuff and then imported into that, and still no joy, after again a few days I get the error again on that file.

I have far complexer and larger files on my server that never have any problems.

Now. The plot thickens.

As I inherited this file from someone else I do not have a structural copy of the file from before these problems began, so I am unable to "go back to an old version". I cannot obtain one either.

So. My only recourse, if Im not mistaken, is to recreate the file completely.

Thats not such a huge a problem (it has only 5 tables and not many relations and most of it is copy paste) EXCEPT it has about 80 layouts that are pretty complex.

QUESTION: Should I let Filemaker look at the File first if they can fix it or start the one month job of manual recreation?

And if I manually recreate; If I just copy paste layouts one hasto always first adjust the exact positions of the "Parts" first which is really cumbersome. Is there a way to copy paste layouts from one file into another more effectively with the parts? (Given all the fields and tables etc are in both files of course)

Is there a way to copy paste or import export LAYOUTS from one file to another more effectively than just copy paste like this? I do have the advanced version of filemaker.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

The file sometimes gives me an Error 640 Failed Inconsitency Check (805) when the FM Server tries to back it up at night.

The file is working without complaints though.

Sounds like a complaint to me. Users may not be feeling the pain but that error shows their is an injury that must be addressed. Corruption can cause data integrity issues so if you run reports and make business decisions based on those reports your decisions may not be based on fact.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I have updated our Server to Filemaker 11 and since then I have had no more trouble with the file (3 Months now). I think it was a "false positive", though I cant be sure.

This topic is 4588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.