Server Maintenance This Week. ×

spinning beach ball

This topic is 4762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have an FM solution with a large number of images. The solution is made with standard FM behavior, web viewer and AppleScript. It works fine, but it is Mac only. I have therefore tried to replace my solution with SuperContainer. Unfortunately, it does not work.

I do not use drag-and-drop because I want more control over what happens when an image is added to the database. Therefore the images are added in a script. There are three phases in the script:

1) The user selects the image file with SCChooseFile

2) An image record is created

3) Image file is saved to SuperContainer with SCSetContainer

In approx. 2 out of 5 attempts the image file is saved. In the remaining 3 attempts FileMaker dies and a spinning beach ball appears after 5-10 secs. There is no error code from SC and when I debug I can see that it is in SCSetcontainer the error occurs.

Does anyone know why I see this spinning beach ball?

Thanks,

Peter

If you are uploading a large file it may take some time for the file to be transferred to the server, particularly if you are working over the internet and have a slow upload speed. Many internet connections have a much slower upload speed than download speed, and so it may take much longer to upload a file then it takes to download the same file.

FileMaker is single-threaded, and will not allow you to interact with it while it is doing something, such as uploading a file. It may seem unresponsive while it is processing something very large, or in this case while it is uploading a file.

This could also occur if you have a firewall which is blocking filemaker from accessing the internet. If a firewall is active it may be waiting for you to allow/deny filemaker access to the internet, at which point filemaker would freeze while it waits for the firewall to give it access or block it.

If you are uploading very small files and this is still happening then there may be another issue. Check and make sure that both your SuperContainer Companion Plugin and SuperContainer Server are up to date, and that you do not have older versions of plugins installed on your server. If this is the case please give me a call and we can do screensharing to find out what is causing this issue for you.

• Newbies

Thank you for your suggestions.

All development is done on a standalone computer:

SuperContainer, Vers. 2.792. Used as standalone server application, demo

FileMaker Advanced, Vers. 10.0v3

Mac OS X, Vers. 10.6.7

File sizes are between 4 and 25 MB

I have tried several things like removing objects from the layout and changing the script, but the problem continues and eventually I have to kill FileMaker.

Neither SC or FM shows any errors, but there are many Java error messages in the system log.

Especially this error message appears very often when an image is displayed in a SCContainer:

12-04-2011 10:43:43 com.prosc.supercontainer.FileViewApplet destroy

INFO: Called destroy

Exception in thread "finalCleanupThread" java.lang.ClassCastException: com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge$1 cannot be cast to sun.plugin.security.ActivatorSecurityManager

at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.release(PluginClassLoader.java:466)

at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.release(AppletViewer.java:1357)

at sun.plugin.viewer.LifeCycleManager.releaseAppletPanel(LifeCycleManager.java:253)

at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginObject$5.run(WebKitPluginObject.java:744)

When the layout with a SC Container is displayed for the first time, this Java error message is written in the system log:

Apple Java Plugin: Java Plugin isn't first to load JVM. (/SourceCache/JavaJDK16/JavaJDK16-334/deploy/src/plugin/macosx/native/apple/applet/JavaInstance.m - -[JavaInstance init] : 151)12-04-2011 10:33:36 com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge$1 checkPermission

INFO: You cannot change the security manager once it is installed by the 360Works plugin library

Apple Java Plugin: Couldn't initialize.

java.lang.SecurityException: You cannot change the security manager once it is installed by the 360Works plugin library

at com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge$1.checkPermission(PluginBridge.java:273)

at com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge$1.checkPermission(PluginBridge.java:263)

at java.lang.System.setSecurityManager0(System.java:273)

at java.lang.System.setSecurityManager(System.java:264)

at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.initEnvironment(AppletViewer.java:585)

at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginContext$1.run(WebKitPluginContext.java:69)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

I often see this error where the first 4 lines are repeated many times:

12-04-2011 10:43:43 com.prosc.supercontainer.FileViewApplet stop

INFO: Called stop

12-04-2011 10:43:43 com.prosc.supercontainer.FileViewApplet destroy

INFO: Called destroy

(( these 4 lines are repeated 15-20 times))

Exception in thread "finalCleanupThread" java.lang.ClassCastException: com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge$1 cannot be cast to sun.plugin.security.ActivatorSecurityManager

at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.release(PluginClassLoader.java:466)

at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.release(AppletViewer.java:1357)

at sun.plugin.viewer.LifeCycleManager.releaseAppletPanel(LifeCycleManager.java:253)

at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginObject$5.run(WebKitPluginObject.java:744)

12-04-2011 10:43:47 com.prosc.supercontainer.FileViewApplet init

INFO: Called init

12-04-2011 10:43:47 com.prosc.supercontainer.FileViewApplet start

INFO: Called start

12-04-2011 10:43:47 com.prosc.supercontainer.FileViewApplet getCookie

INFO: getCookie(JSESSIONID) is (090FC1D2F843AA0905980ACCA05AD8DC)

12-04-2011 10:43:47 com.prosc.supercontainer.plugin.SCPluginModel setBaseUrl

INFO: Setting supercontainer base url to http://localhost:8020/SuperContainer/Files

12-04-2011 10:43:47 com.prosc.supercontainer.plugin.SCPluginModel setBaseUrl

INFO: Set supercontainer base url in 6 milliseconds

When this error occurs, the red DEMO text disappears on all displayed SC images.

Without knowing the inner working of SC, I do not know whether the error messages have any significance.

I should appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

-peter

It sounds like you may have an old plugin installed. Please make sure that you have updated all of your installed plugins, not just SuperContainer, as old plugins may cause conflicts when loading other plugins or the SuperContainer applet. If you do not have any plugins installed please give me a call or skype me and we can do screen sharing.

It sounds like you may have an older plugin installed, not necessarily the SuperContainer plugin. Old plugins can cause conflicts, even if they are not the SuperContainer plugin. What plugins show up in your filemaker -> Preferences -> Plugins tab?

• Newbies

Only FM plugins (AutoUpdate, Web.fmplugin, xDBC.fmplugin) and SuperContainer.

I've been able to remove a part of the Java errors by making the SC URL conditional:

If there is an related image in the current record

set the URL to the calculated URL

else

set it to "".

After this change most all of the remaining Java errors appears to be related to layout changes. When a layout containing a SC container with an image is changed a Java Exception occurs. If the SC container is empty when the layout is changed, there is no Java errors.

-peter

This topic is 4762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.