Survey with several question types

chow

This topic is 4761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all,

I am a beginner to Filemaker Pro and hoping for some advice. Also, apologies if this has been addressed already.

I'm creating a survey database for school based health centers; this survey is meant to either be filled out by students on a computer, OR enable a research analyst to quickly enter the data from paper based forms.

After reading several threads on this forum about survey design, I think I have a decent model (please see attached).

As depicted in the diagram below, I have split the relationship graph into two components. The top half in yellow represents survey responses with unique combinations of questions and responses. The bottom blue-green half contains the model for the survey---it's conceivable that the stakeholders will want different surveys in this database.

The main difficulty I run into is the variety of response types. For this survey there are three types of responses: most are multiple choice; some are free text entry (e.g. how old are you?), and one is a checkbox response (e.g. check all the issues that apply). As it stands I have a layout based on the table "Filled out Surveys", with a portal that points to Questions 2. This allows me to display all the questions in order. However, it doesn't permit me to change the field according to the question type. Am I missing something or do I need to change my approach? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best,

Chow

DataModel.png

This topic is 4761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.