Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filesharing Issues

This topic is 4756 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an iMac that is holding the main file and also sharing that folder so the laptop I have can access the file.

When I add new records to the file from the laptop, the laptop can see the new records, but the iMac does not.

I also have another file that is being hosted on the iDisk and I can access that through a few other machines and I can update the file, but when the other users do so, it tends to corrupt the database and I keep losing records.

I don't know if these issues are separate or related. Any suggestions to remedy this would be greatly appreciated. The budget does not allow for server or for upgrades.

Sharing FMP files on shared network folders/volumes is NOT the recommended method, it can cause corruption particularly if more than one user accesses the file at the same time.

You need to "host" the database using FMS. Either your own copy or that of a commercial provider. Or use FMP peer-to-peer sharing mode, which is similar to FMS.

Sharing FMP files on shared network folders/volumes is NOT the recommended method, it can cause corruption particularly if more than one user accesses the file at the same time.

You need to "host" the database using FMS. Either your own copy or that of a commercial provider. Or use FMP peer-to-peer sharing mode, which is similar to FMS.

How do you use the peer-to-peer sharing mode?

Open the file on a host machine. Make sure FileMaker Network sharing is turned on, and that you have granted access to the necessary users.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

From another machine on the same network, use Open Remote. Under local files, you should see that file open on the host machine.

FileMaker Network Sharing.png

This topic is 4756 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.