Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Layout Question

This topic is 4762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I return to designing a layout after almost 3 years, and despite boning up a bit using several books, I cannot figure out what I have done incorrectly. I am using FM 8.5 Advanced.

Here is the goal: I have a large art database with images and I wished to generate a layout that would fit on a single page and contain two records per page. I was successful in sizing etc., but when I tested it, only the top one contained the image. My work-around was to expand the layout to almost a full page, but this generated a very long print-out (and *,pdf). Twice as long as necessary.

Because the "top" one worked, and there seems to be no overlay of parts on the bottom, what have I done incorrectly?

All help is sincerely appreciated.

jack e bear

Check the page break settings of your Body part.

Thank you for your reply.

I had the page break set to: "after 2 (body)" and with no footer.

After retreating to the single page, I sort of gave-up, but I would much prefer the report to be two records per page.

I will try some experimenting and create a screen shot of the matter.

Best,

jack e Bear

I redid the two-up report/layout and was able to see the picture/images in each of the records, however, every-other record has a blank background. the files attached are screen captures of the layout in design view and the other is the result seen in the *.pdf.

It shows that only the top record retains the background color.

I wonder why this is?

Again, all help sincerely appreciated.

Jack e Bear

Well, I can't seem to attach two files, so only the pdf result is attached, and the upper record is "as designed."

pdf result.jpg

layout as designed.jpg

I think I solved the problem. I exchanged a box part, which had a fill color and was the same size as the body, with "body" fill color. This appears to have solved the matter.

I am still left with the question of why the box would not repeat.

But that is left for another day.

Jack e Bear

Dear Imaginary Friend,

Now I am really in it. After playing around with the database yesterday, including changing the access to "no password" in the preferences, the file I was working on will not open because I do not have a password (and I never had one). How can I force the opening, or, is the program so strict as to keep even a dumb owner out?

Again, all help is deeply appreciated.

Jack e Bear

Again, after sweating, I figured it out. I opened a file I was able to get to and found the "admin" with my P/W. I used that for the file I was playing with, and I opened it.

However, even careful reading of the "help" section fails to tell me, rather, I fail to understand, how to make access completely password free. I don't care who plays in this database and if I make it too difficult, my secretary wont be able to access it either.

Same appreciations.

Jack e Bear

If you don't want it to ask for a password, you need to select the "Log in using" checkbox and then supply a valid name and password (which could be a blank password if that's what corresponds to that account name). Or choose Guest if you have enabled the guest account.

Dear IF,

That does not work.

When I change the file options as you have suggested above, (selecting the "log in using" box, and then I supply a "valid name," (whatever that means), it asks me to supply a name, which I did, and then the P/W, which I did (blank), and then exited.

Upon re-opening, a password was requested. I used the name I chose, and the blank P/W, but it reused that and i had to revert to "admin."

This password thing is much to complicated for a bear with a small brain.

the question I have, re/ Filemaker, in general, is why does it not seem to do what it claims to do in some situations? P/W being the current issue.

Have a nice week-end.

Jack e Bear

Go to File > Manage > Security. A new file by default will have a [Guest] account, disabled by default, and an Admin account, enabled by default. If those are the only accounts that have been defined, then the only "valid" account name is: Admin.

If you put a name in the "log in using" box that hasn't been defined in the security settings, then FileMaker will not accept it. That is a Good Thing, as it is doing what security is supposed to do.

I highly recommend you take the time to read about security in the online help, it should clear up some of these concepts.

After reading the "bible,' AKA "The Missing Manual," I was sort of shocked to realize that hidden on page 600-something, in a tiny paragraph, was the statement to the effect that if somehow the password was forgotten, the database was, essentially "toast," and somewhat later-on, explaining that Filemaker initially installs giving full privileges and "automatic" logon.

Although in the beginning, that is, when I first moved from Xerox "Approach" database to Filemaker (I just mistyped it as "failmaker!!!) I used several texts to guide me, neither of which paid any attention at all to "user accounts," or "Passwords," thus explaining, perhaps, my shock at being confronted with a request for a password after making unwarranted assumptions about the meaning of the "file options," interactive box.

The interesting observation that the discussion of these two important facts lies buried near the end of the "bible," book implies to me that perhaps some kind soul should write an ad hoc manual for casual users of this powerful database, one which gives the appropriate initial warnings about why and how to proceed.

I take your advice with appreciation and many thanks.

I now have to figure-out the method whereby two of us (my secretary and myself) can use the program at our three sites (she at home and at my studio) and I at home, without creating chaos. I am aware that there is a method of using the program across the internet, but I don't think that is a solution I wish to use. We'll figure something out, I suspect.

Thanks again for your help.

All advice gladly accepted.

Jack e Bear

PS. Portland seems like a nice place to live. I read about the street vendors in a food magazine and was duly impressed.

This topic is 4762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.