Maintaining Portal Row

Ron Cates

This topic is 4719 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All. I'm looking for any and all links to solutions for maintaining a portal row when switching layouts. I have a need to switch between two identical layouts seemlessly and have the portal on the layouts retain the visible rows, or at least somewhere close. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

No can do, AFAIK. It's possible to remember the currently selected portal row and return to that, but its position in the portal may change.

Often a new temporary window is used for processing, to avoid disturbing the current layout.

I had seen a post that mentioned a custom function with a link to it but the link was broken. I did manage to get it close using a solution I found that uses a calculation field to set a global variable to the last portal row. Then on the switch in order to get it to about the same position I have to go to the first row, then the last row, then the row I want selected. It's actually pretty seemless other than some screen flash.

Using a new window was not an option in this case because I want the user to not even know the layout is switching. To them it just appears that some extra fields become available or not available depending on the portal row selection.

I had seen a post that mentioned a custom function with a link to it but the link was broken.

If you mean the demo mentioned here:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/52937-portal-question-feedback-which-position-of-the-list-the-user-clicked/page__p__249092#entry249088

the file can be downloaded from:

http://www.bh-a.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&lang=en

You'll also find a simpler implementation further down in the thread.

However, though this provides the closest approximation I have seen, it's still not good enough IMHO. I agree with Vaughan that it's best to stay on the same layout (and record). If you need to enable/disable some layout objects, you can use a tab control object or a "visibility" portal.

This topic is 4719 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.