protect filemaker from concurrent access

This topic is 4720 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi friends!! In my company we're using Filemaker 11 Pro Advanced. But we want to use only one data base (one file *.fp7), placed in one computer. So all the employees will access to this file, but only one employee can modify the data base. So if the employee 'A' access the data base first, and then the employee 'B' access the data base and try to modify it, this employee shouldn't be able to modify the data base, because another employee ('A') is using the data base. How can I do this?

Thank you very much!

What exactly does "using the data base" mean? If employee 'A' is just browsing records, can employee 'B' browse records at the same time? If not, when will they be allowed to do so (assume employee 'A' opened the file and went out).

Well thank you very much Comment, but I am a newbie in FileMaker and I don't know if it is possible to implement what you said. I know up to 9 users can access the same file at the same time in FileMaker. The problem is if one user modify the data base. In the previous case, if the 'B' user tries to modify the data base, Filemaker shouldn't allow him to do it. Anyway, it'll be enough for me if only one user is able to access the data base. This user can read/write data. If another user tries to access, I would like Filemaker to forbid it.

Thank you very much!

I don't think you have answered my question. Filemaker automatically prevents users from modifying a record that is being modified by another user. They can still view the record, and modify other records. The restriction ends when the user has committed the modified record. In your example, it's not clear when should other users be allowed to access the file.

This topic is 4720 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.