Saving/Printing as a TXT file

BruceJ

This topic is 8412 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

(Windows)

I know its been covered because I remember reading about it, but my search didn't turn up any posts.

I'm working on a medical billing database that files claims electronically. The clearing house companies require that the data be sent to them in a very specific format at a *.TXT file.

I remember seeing something about a download that was a false printer driver and you could print to the false printer to create the TXT file. Currently, the Print to File allows only *.PRN files which are not accepted by the claims company (Envoy).

Exporting will not work either as the files have to be flat and formated specifically. besides, you can't export as a TXT file if I recall correctly.

Tahhsk in advance. If anyone already has a solution that I can incorporate, I'll pay or trade for it.

Yes, you can export as a text file. I would probably create a text calculation field that combines all the fields that you want to export along with whatever delimiters you need inserted. Then just export this single field as a tab delimited text file.

*******.. I just spoke to the processing company and they said the file has to be in a *.TXT type.

When I do the export thing, it ends up with as a *.TAB file though it can be opened as text, they said this wasn't good enough.

Any pointers? My deadline for this project is this Friday.... getting nervous.

What specifically does your processing company object to? If it is the ".tab" extension to the file name, change it to ".txt" . If it is a formatting please give details. Don't give up. Be specific and there are a whole bunch of experts out here who will help. I know because I lurk and learn.

I'm not a computer science guy, so help me out here... If I exported a single calculated field as a tab file, then I just change the suffix to ".TXT" and it'll work?

The processing company refers to characters in colums rows, is this more of a DOS approach? They will accept info in one of two ways. The first is a a TXT file as if the info were going to be printed onto a specific form (HCFA1500 or a UB92), or in a special format, referred to as National Standard Format where there are very specific info in codes on rows. Its hard to get specific, easy to understand instructions from the medical billing industry. Maybe they are just protecting their turf.

I appreciate your input.

Well, yes. If you change the extension to txt, it will, by definition, be a text file. So, if the internal format is correct, you should be okay.

Traditionally, the best way to figure out the format that you want is to get an actual sample file and have a look at it. If you have other software that can create the file, then make a file and then have a look at it in a text editor application or similar utility to see how it is arranged.

Sounds like rather than separating the original fields with tabs in the calculated field that was suggested for export, you need to control the length of each field.

This step can probably be improved. I created a dummy global field called Spaces and populated it with a series of space character (approx 20) that I can call upon to fill columns.

Lets say the Patient ID field was to fill columns 1 to 4, and Name field was to fill columns 5 to 25. You would then calculate that portion of the export field to be:

if(length(Patient ID)>=4,left(Patient ID,4),Name & left(Spaces,4-length(Patient ID)))&

if(length(Name)>=20,left(Name,20),Name & left(Spaces,20-length(Name)))

By adding the spaces you are forcing the column position of the next fields to positions 5 and 26.

Hope this makes sense.

Wow it just struck me! You guys are great.

I especially liek the way you caclulated the spaces to force the colums. That makes a lot of sense. I won't even embarass myself my telling you what I was going to do! Needless to say it was very complicated and proabbyl wouldn't have worked.

This really simplifies things becasue they have given me instructions on colums and rows ect.

I just might meet my deadline now!

Again, thanks!

This topic is 8412 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.