Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Access to Login Account information

This topic is 4753 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've built a neat program that uses FMP's login to build a TimeClock that automatically clocks an employee in when they first login if they haven't yet that day. Then it offers to clock them out whenever they close the program. Works great, and seamlessly and transparently builds a payroll journal.

This starts with Get ( accountname ), which I use as their unique UserName. But I can't guarantee it's unique, and thus doesn't work as a primary field.

Is there possibly another field imbedded in FMP's login account t table that is auto-incrementing and unalterable, something I could grab and use as a primary field between the TimeClock journal that holds all the ClockIn and ClockOut data, and the (parent) employee table that holds soc security #, pay rate, salary, health ins, etc. If so, I could merge them to build a payroll report that has pay rate info, to send to the payroll company.

I've built a neat program that uses FMP's login to build a TimeClock that automatically clocks an employee in when they first login if they haven't yet that day. Then it offers to clock them out whenever they close the program. Works great, and seamlessly and transparently builds a payroll journal.

This starts with Get ( accountname ), which I use as their unique UserName. But I can't guarantee it's unique, and thus doesn't work as a primary field.

Is there possibly another field imbedded in FMP's login account t table that is auto-incrementing and unalterable, something I could grab and use as a primary field between the TimeClock journal that holds all the ClockIn and ClockOut data, and the (parent) employee table that holds soc security #, pay rate, salary, health ins, etc. If so, I could merge them to build a payroll report that has pay rate info, to send to the payroll company.

In a given file, Account names must be unique, although they are not case sensitive. So factor that into your planning. On a copy of your file, try making a duplicate Account and see what happens.

Steven

In a given file, Account names must be unique, although they are not case sensitive. So factor that into your planning. On a copy of your file, try making a duplicate Account and see what happens.

Steven

Thanks, Steven. Right, Usernames must be unique. I suppose an employee could ask to change it, but it would have to be done by a full access user, so we'd be aware.

Thanks, Steven. Right, Usernames must be unique. I suppose an employee could ask to change it, but it would have to be done by a full access user, so we'd be aware.

Changing the Account Name does not require a [Full Access] Account. But you must affirmatively grant a user privileges to do that.

Steven

This topic is 4753 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.