Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple "instances" of FMSA 11? Or....?

This topic is 4145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I believe I know the answer to this one, but for the benefit of my client, I'll post it anyway.... Uploaded a database to my FMSA 11 test server for him today, and of course, when he went to access it with Filemaker Go, he was able to see all the OTHER files on my test server. "Is there no way to set Filemaker Server up so that Filemaker Go users only see the one file they're supposed to?"

Hmmm... I dunno... I only very rudimentarily know how to set it up so that regular Filemaker Network users only see selected files...

Thoughts?

FMS has a feature that is called "file list filtering". It requires that the users provide their credentials BEFORE they see the list of hosted files and the list will only show the files that they have an account in...

FMS has a feature that is called "file list filtering". It requires that the users provide their credentials BEFORE they see the list of hosted files and the list will only show the files that they have an account in...

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

• 1 year later...

Can file list filtering be used to stand up mutiple instances of the same db (with the same name) so that individual users access different instances?

E.g. I have a solution consiting of 10 Dbs. Only one is used interactively, but it is related to the other nine. No user has to touch the other nine, only the admin for periodic updates in the background.

Lets' say the one db is named ABCD. The name has to stay the same because of the relationships with the other nine.

If I stand up five instances of ABCD with file list filtering so that five different users are pointed to five different instances of ABCD,

will that work to reach my goal?

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

IIRC, FileMaker Server will not even open multiple instances of a database.  So the answer to your question is most likely to be No.  You might name them differently, use different credentials, and then, as Wim suggested, employ database filtering to direct a user to a specific file.

Steven

I did some experimenting by uploading two instances of the same primary db to FMS11 on a remote host (e.g. ABCD.fp7)

When I attempted to upload the 2nd instance, the FMS console recognized the common file name and asked if I wanted to

rename it before proceeding. On a hunch I renamed it to ABCD(1).fp7 and the upload proceeded. Upon testing, both instances seemed to be available for use and worked normally including any relationships with the other 9 dbs.

Now I have out figure out how to use file list filtering and see if it can be done via my remote hosting service. The service doesn't seem to offer a config setting via the console where I can enable or disable a feature to display only the databses each user is authorized to access.

Thanks again Steven.

Dave

This topic is 4145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.