Filemaker Server 11 on Windows Best Practices

This topic is 4674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have always run Filemaker Server on whatever old Mac we had, currently a 4+ year old Mac Pro. I am kicking around the idea of getting a Windows 7 machine to host our Filemaker database on. So I'd like to ask if anyone can give me suggstions on what to avoid, etc. I plan on getting an machine built and run the database off an SSD, with good and regular backups, as I currently do on the Mac side. I presume Windows 7 Professional 32 bit is the best way to go on a new machine? Are there any major differences in FM Server Mac version on Windows?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have always run Filemaker Server on whatever old Mac we had, currently a 4+ year old Mac Pro. I am kicking around the idea of getting a Windows 7 machine to host our Filemaker database on. So I'd like to ask if anyone can give me suggstions on what to avoid, etc. I plan on getting an machine built and run the database off an SSD, with good and regular backups, as I currently do on the Mac side. I presume Windows 7 Professional 32 bit is the best way to go on a new machine? Are there any major differences in FM Server Mac version on Windows?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

These are not good specs for a FileMaker Server machine. Please note Wim's comments regarding the OS. Also, I would use SAS drives, not SSD.

Steven

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to keep it reasonably simple as I have no experience with Windows server systems. Also, the place I was planning on getting the BTO machine built only has Win 7 (home/professional/ultimate) without any server options. Is standard Windows 7/pro/whatever so bad for running Filemaker Server? ( I am currently running a non-server 10.5 install on the Mac Pro running FM Server 9 Advanced).

Roger on the SSD suggestion. Is there a reason why there is so little interest running Filemaker from SSD? It seems like it's never even discussed...when I do a google search, my own post here a few years ago shows up. The unit I was planning on using was an updated SandyBridge one that should do well, although if it's a bad idea I'll reconsider.

SSD is fairly new and still has to prove its reliability. When it comes to servers there is only one motto: stability. Typically you tend to be conservative with your servers and their technology to maximize the chances of stability

• 2 months later...

so, I am looking for advice on hardware recommendations. I have been running FM8 Server on a Windows XP machine which has been running non-stop for about 4 years. I figure its time for an upgrade just to ensure reliability.

What would you buy right now? I am also thinking that I want to upgrade to FM Server 11.

Any entry level server from HP or Dell will do. Go for 64-bit if you can afford it. Put Server 2008 64-bit on it. FMS doesn't really take advantage of 64 bit but it is the wave of the future. With that and choosing 2008 you'll have a machine that can last you many years to come.

This topic is 4674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.