Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Apparent Bugs in Printing Columns

FMReader

This topic is 4718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In both Filemaker 9 and Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced, I frequently encounter bugs when trying to set up column printing. This is especially prevalent when printing on small formats (e.g., labels).

Here are examples of the two most common problems (there are many more):

FilemakerBugs2.jpg

As you can see, there are 5 objects on this layout. A blue box, a green box, a serial number field (left), a text field (right) and a barcode field (center).

None of these objects extends off the layout. There are no invisible objects that might be responsible (I was careful to check).

The column printing is set to print in six columns, down first (so, six rows). Now...

FilemakerBugs1.jpg

Instead of six rows of 5 objects, I get four rows of 4 objects and then an almost randomly placed barcode field (it usually shows up somewhere around the 3rd or 4th row and only displays once). There's nothing anomalous about the barcode field. It's the same as the serial number field, except that it happens to use a different font and it doesn't extend off the layout. It is set to be centered, the same as the other objects.

Also notice, even though there's plenty of space, only four columns are displayed rather than five or six. Things get even weirder if I switch from portrait to landscape mode. Filemaker will indicate vertical columns even though the layout is set for horizontal columns (rows).

I searched the FM Pro knowledge base for over an hour without finding anything helpful. I don't even know if these problems have been fixed in subsequent versions and can't afford to upgrade yet. Plus, I have no plans to upgrade if the problems persist. What's the point of spending money on the same bugs (or worse)?

I'm constantly printing on small formats: badges, inventory labels, index cards, product information sheets (half pages) and Filemaker rarely gets it right. It's even worse if I print on continuous-feed labels. Filemaker automatically assumes a longer page length than I specify and prints a big blank area after each label, which defeats the purpose of having continuous-feed paper (to save paper).

Any suggestions? I lose a lot of money on small contracts because I spend so much time looking for workarounds for small-format printing, time I can't bill to the customer.

Check your printer driver (in the operating system) make sure it is up to date. Historically, older versions of FMP had problems with printing to HP laser printers.

The barcode font is not standard: duplicate the layout, take everything off the layout then put them back to see what happens.

Hi, thanks for your responses.

Unfortunately, I don't understand either of them (maybe I'm slow).

1. What would the printer driver have to do with the Filemaker Preview? Does Preview go to the driver to determine the layout? If so, I have an incorrect picture of the process in my mind. I know Filemaker queries about margins, but that's usually handled in Printer Setup and is usually generic (most people select format for "Any Printer"). Then, as far as I know, Filemaker creates a layout and then interacts with a specific printer driver at printing time.

I'm pretty sure I have the most recent drivers (I have Leopard OS and recent printer drivers for both the laser and inkjet printers... I get the same Preview image in Filemaker regardless of which one I choose). Maybe you could clarify how Filemaker interacts with printer drivers. I'm not having problems printing from other apps.

2. I also don't understand what is "nonstandard" about barcode fonts. I'm a font designer myself. A font is simply lines, shapes (especially since most people don't take advantage of the other capabilities of PostScript, and many use Truetype fonts which are functionally simpler). How would Filemaker know whether an upright bar is a pipe symbol, the letter "l" or a barcode bar? A barcode isn't much more than a simple, abbreviated "alphabet" with a bar in place of a number. I'm not using any sophisticated barcodes like the new "intelligent mail" system. In what way are plain barcodes (like 3 of 9) different from normal fonts?

Thanks for any further information you can provide.

Does Preview go to the driver to determine the layout?

Yes.

I also don't understand what is "nonstandard" about barcode fonts.

It's not that it's a barcode font, it a font that's not standard with the OS. It could have corruption or anything.

Time to test, test, test. Or post a zipped copy of your file to the forums.

Make sure you're running FMP 9.0v3 because earlier versions (and patch releases) were not compatible with Leopard.

I admit, I'm still a bit confused. Margins come from Printer Setup before Filemaker even looks at what printer driver you're going to use (and a different printer driver is often selected at print time), but I'll take your word for it.

So, okay, if Filemaker Preview goes to the printer driver to determine the layout, then the bugs must be in Filemaker, because it doesn't matter whether I use OS X preinstalled printer drivers, third party printer drivers or updated printer drivers, the Filemaker Preview image (with incorrect layout and numbers of rows) is always the same and prints as one sees it on the Preview screen.

It also doesn't matter what kind of printer I'm using. I have two different inkjet printers, a laser printer, and two different Dymo label printers. No matter which one I select, Filemaker displays a bad Preview page.

I've tried in vain to find workarounds because this has to function correctly or there's massive paper (and time) waste. I don't usually encounter these problems when using full sheets (8.5 x 11). Maybe the Filemaker developers never tested small-format printing.

I'm pretty sure the barcode font is fine (not corrupted). I've used it from many other apps without problems. And the problem of the field only showing up in one row (or column) instead of all of them isn't restricted to a barcode field. It sometimes happens with normal text fields and only seems to happen when I print on small formats.

The column printing is set to print in six columns, down first (so, six rows).

I am afraid you are very much mistaken about this. Six columns always means six columns, never six rows - no matter which direction is selected. The number of rows is dictated by the page size.

Margins come from Printer Setup before Filemaker even looks at what printer driver you're going to use

No. On a PC, try setting the print setup on a computer that has no printer installed.

Either way this arguing about what happens when isn't solving the problem. Duplicate the layout and delete all the objects on it. Put a rectangle in the body part and see if it previews/prints OK. Start putting things back until the problem is resolved.

I am afraid you are very much mistaken about this. Six columns always means six columns, never six rows - no matter which direction is selected. The number of rows is dictated by the page size.

All right. I used the word "rows" because I thought it would be clearer as to which direction I meant (printing down first or printing across first), but nevertheless, why does it only show four "columns" (printing down first) when I select six and there is room for six (as you can see in the picture)?

Here are some of the other problems I'm encountering. Again, this doesn't seem to happen when I use letter-sized paper, only small formats. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it. I used to earn a modest living with Pagemaker + SuperBase. They had some bugs, but not ones that interfered with my ability to finish products for clients. Now I struggle constantly with scripts (scripts were easy in SuperBase), with printing, with so many aspects of Filemaker, I lose more than I earn.

Okay... here are my printer settings in Page Setup for Dymo Twin on standard shipping/badge labels:

LabelSetup1.jpg which, to my surprise, yields this: LabelSetup1b.jpg

Filemaker Pro seems to think the page size is 4" x 1.7" and, of course, won't let me stretch the Body beyond the page size.

If I change from landscape to portrait mode:

LabelSetup2.jpg this setting yields this: LabelSetup2b.jpg

Filemaker now seems to think the paper size is 2.31" x 1.5".

This is with columns turned off, and the margins are determined by Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced (I can't manually size the page bigger):

LabelSetup3.jpg

This doesn't make any sense to me. As I mentioned before, I don't have trouble printing correctly from other apps (word processors, dedicated label printing apps, etc.) so I'm pretty sure the printer driver is fine.

I'm pretty desperate to solve this. About 80% of my projects are small-format printing (inventory labels, box labels, file labels, name badges, etc.). Am I doing something wrong? If not, are there workarounds?

Why don't you post a file showing the problem, so we can provide an answer instead of guessing.

Sorry, this is part of a large and complex database that's been developed over the last two years. Trying to strip everything out isn't practical and the info is proprietary. Starting a separate file from scratch doesn't solve the problem either, since adding it back into the main database changes the dynamics but if I can't solve it soon, I'll try to find a way to post a file.

No. On a PC, try setting the print setup on a computer that has no printer installed.

Either way this arguing about what happens when isn't solving the problem. Duplicate the layout and delete all the objects on it. Put a rectangle in the body part and see if it previews/prints OK. Start putting things back until the problem is resolved.

I'm using OS X on PowerPC. Perhaps it's different.

Printer Setup is part of the OS. It exists irrespective of whether a printer driver is installed. Then printer drivers are added as needed. but a large number of drivers comes with OS X during install. I see what you mean though... installing on a system with no printer drivers might isolate the problem. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a separate computer with no printer drivers.

I've been removing and adding objects for over a week now and haven't been able to solve it. No offense, but I usually come to forums as a last resort. I can usually troubleshoot most problems myself. This one has me stumped and I appreciate those who are taking the time to respond.

Filemaker Pro seems to think the page size is 4" x 1.7" and, of course, won't let me stretch the Body beyond the page size.

In layout mode, go into the View menu and turn off Page Margins.

There is no reason why the body cannot be resized beyond one page. I'm thinking the file might have corruption.

This looks fairly simple.. Your page setup size is 4 x 2.31. Your Filemaker "page" is the same. There is no way it will ever put the layout more than 1 up.. Looking at your print setup, it appears as if you are trying to print to a label printer. The repeat of the label will have to be your page size.. period. If you are trying to print multiple records up on 1 label, you have another whole set of issues...

This topic is 4718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.