Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Save Records as PDF problem

Simon Hall

This topic is 4704 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm using FMPro9 and am creating a series of PDF booklets from one of my databases for external printing.

I'm doing it 'manually' i.e. by finding the records I want to export, then clicking the icon in the toolbar that says 'Save records as PDF' typing in a filename then clicking save.

I have successfully created Booklet 1 to Booklet 29 inclusive in this way.

However when I try to do Booklet 30 I get "Booklet 30.pdf could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

The disk I am using has around 500Gb free space. I have tried different names, different disks but with no effect.

The solutions I have found online all refer to doing this in scripts, which I am not using here, just clicking the icon.

I really need to get these booklets printed this week. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance

-------------------------

Having had a further day to play around with this, I was surprised to find that I could create Booklets 31 onwards without problem.

So, it's only Booklet 30 that fails, which presumably must be something to do with the content of these records.

I have been through them one by one in Browse Mode, and can see nothing wrong.

I guess that my next step will be to eliminate records, one at a time, until I can create the booklet.

Unless anyone has any bright ideas to shortcut this exercise !?

This is typically a path problem. Although the name doesn't look problematic, and you say that you've tried different name, can you give it a try just naming the doc, "test" Don't add the extension.

Thanks for the response.

I had previously tried "untitled" and it didn't work, and I'm afraid that it's the same with "test"

I've just tried it with just the first 100 records of Booklet 30 and it is absolutley fine, so I'm still inclined to think that there is one (or more) records that the PDF format just does not like.

More suggestions welcomee though!

OK, I've cracked it, but still don't understand why.

Record 278 (of 292) was the culprit.

Each record has two container fields, one with a linked jpeg photograph in it (about 500k) and one with another linked image in it (only a few k; could be jpeg, gif, png etc.).

When I removed the gif from this record the PDF export worked fine - re-attach the gif and the old error returned.

So I converted it to a png and *bingo* no more problems.

I have gifs in other records so I can only assume that this one was corrupted in some way.

Anyway, no marks to someone for a really misleading error message, and thanks to bcooney for prodding me to investigate further.

Cheers!

This topic is 4704 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.