Server Maintenance This Week. ×

U/SQL Transoft ODBC Driver

This topic is 4358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all-

I'm evaluating FileMaker Pro 11 as a replacement to MS Access due to the limitations Access puts on rows and frankly looking for something more sophisticated.

The data source that I am working with is an old legacy COBOL database (specifically Deltek's GCS Premier database).

The connectivity to the old flat file non-relational database is provided by Transoft U/SQL ODBC Driver.

The problem I am having is I can import all the data tables using the Transoft driver into FileMaker which is great but if I want to work with LIVE data I get the error "The ODBC data source you have selected is not supported" when I go to the Relationships tab and try to add a relationship using the ODBC connection.

MS Access works PERFECTLY connecting to the live data, the only drawback is if the table contains more than 255 columns it drops.

I've tried Alpha Five which works fine as well. Alpha Five just doesn't seem as intuitive as FileMaker is.

Why won't FileMaker work? Any ideas?

Why won't FileMaker work? Any ideas?

bcooney already gave you the list to the supported data sources for FileMaker's External SQL sources feature.

But that doesn't mean that you can't work with other sources. You can still use the Perform SQL script step with ANY SQL sources as long as you have the drivers. Not as straightforward as setting up ESS but it should not be that much of a challenge given your previous experience with it.

And there is also the scriptable import from ANY SQL data source.

HTH

Wim

• 10 months later...
  • Newbies

Hello Wim,

I have been tasked with connecting GCS Premier to a database so that we can run reports that are not available with the GCS software and also to link to some other data that we have. I have connected it quite easily to Access but I got the same error message you did in FileMaker.

I am missing a GCS file (.udd) in order to test from my home computer but I saw your post. I have not yet tried to do an import. We are okay with slightly stale data for our purposes to performing a script overnight would work. I will try to do the script when I get to work tomorrow but if it is simple for you to do, could you point me in the right direction? I have almost no FileMaker experience but more than a decade of Access experience. If it is not simple, then let me bang my head a little bit until I have a more intelligent question.

Thanks,

Tony

This topic is 4358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.