Server Maintenance This Week. ×

What do I need to put a database online?

This topic is 8442 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I just stumbled onto this forum, so forgive me if this question has been asked and answered.

I am an experienced filemaker developer with an assignment to create a web form for people to sign up for various events. All it needs to be is a single, secure form with a few links and a graphic or two.

The problem is I don't know the web, HTML, web servers, nuthin. I wouldn't know a secure form if it bit me.

Can someone direct me to a good starting point for getting our database live on the web? My employer and I have discussed HTML classes. Is that the best way to go?

-Heather

Well, let's just say you are facing several learning curves. Dealing just with custom publishing, and just with the creation of web pages which interact with FileMaker, and not the technical arrangements of the machinery, you will need to learn either HTML or how to effectively use an editor to write HTML (curve 1). Next (curve2) you will need to decide whether you are going to learn how to embed cdml tags into your html or whether you are going to get Lasso and learn Lasso and LDML, and then learn whichever method (language) you decide.

No real short-cuts. Good luck.

Peace

Keith M. Davie

• Newbies

Great! Thanks for the info, Keith.

I have another question, though. I've been doing a lot of reading about Filemaker's Web Companion and I'm curious how it differs from products such as Lasso, ColdFusion, Tango etc. They all seem to be similar products, at varying expenses. How do I know which of these products is right for me?

-Heather

Heather,

I am familiar only with WC. CDML is from version 1 of LDML. LDML has advanced, I don't know what version they are on now. I do know they offer some additional tags. I think Lasso also offers its own database, though I am not certain about that. Basically, the 3rd party items which you mention should all offer a bit more capability than just WC. Hopefully someone else can help with their real knowledge as opposed my speculations.

What you want to do on the web (i.e., how complex) may be a consideration.

Whatever it is you are planning, realize that Web Companion is single-threaded and as a result using ScriptMaker

This topic is 8442 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.