Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upgrade from FM7?

This topic is 4683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have FM7 at work running on a Windows XP machine. It and the db I created on it are working fine. Today our IT guy mentioned to me that I should maybe think about upgrading (I assume to FM11) since we may at some point move to Windows 7. If we do this will my database be fine with the new version of Filemaker? Will it simply open up intact in the new version? What can I expect in the way of changes? I'm pretty dependent upon this database just the way it is and I'd hate for scripts to stop working or for any other glitches to show up. I should mention that although I created this database it's really the only one I've ever done and it was several years ago. I doubt if I could recreate it now without spending a lot of time that I don't have.

Thanks in advance for your tips and reassurances!

Deborah

You may have zero problems, but there are always a couple of potential issues, e.g.:

"No implicit commit before Replace/Relookup Field Contents operations

In FileMaker Pro 10, the Replace Field Contents and Relookup Field Contents commands and script steps will no longer exit the active field and commit data before performing the replace/relookup.

For example, if you modify a field value and then try to perform a relookup on that field without committing the data, then the relookup search will be based on the old data rather than the modified data."

Also as of FileMaker 10, the status has area moved to the top rather than the left-hand side, so you may need to adjust your layouts to compensate.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7071/~/miscellaneous-behavior-changes-in-filemaker-pro-10

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7574/~/miscellaneous-behavior-changes-in-filemaker-pro-11

This topic is 4683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.