Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Recover differs from PC to Mac

This topic is 4657 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I have am FM application that i developed over the years - started with FM 5 way back...

This app needs updates about once a year due to customer requests.

Now, for some time while developing, I run a FM recover several times a day since I have found that while developing FM sometimes screws up my database for unknown reasons - I am not talking about crashes and the like. Just regular work on scripts and layouts. I have had this in FM9 Pro Adv and also in FM10 Pro Adv. Came across this issue by chance. So I do a recover simply to check it out and if that reports OK I save the current state. I like, even love FM, but I don't trust it too much.

Was working on PC for the last couple of years but have finally made the switch to a Mac (thank heaven) a year ago.

Now I find that recover on my FM10 Pro Adv installation on Mac reports errors in the db while the same run on PC reports that same db is ok.

Confuses me just a tiny bit - but strengthens my distrust of FM.

Any ideas?

Thank you from Switzerland. Pete

Now, for some time while developing, I run a FM recover several times a day since I have found that while developing FM sometimes screws up my database for unknown reasons

Something is definitely wrong. Databases just don't screw themselves up.

Describe your development environment: if the file local or on a shared volume?

Hi

In the meantime, I have figured out what the problem was. I will explain shortly.

I have FM 10 Pro Adv installed on my Windows Vista Laptop and on my Macbook Pro. Have an app with 3 db's, the main-db having >10 tables that I developed over the years and have 7 happy customers (admin software for psychotherapists), app works well and I have no problems. I distribute runtime versions and have developed elaborate scripting solution to update existing runtime versions in the fields - works great. Have just a few lines in the code that deal with platform differences - mainly filepath oriented stuff. As mentioned I do a recover from time to time to check the integrity of the db. Now recently, I took the fp7 main file to my Mac and did a recover and found that it reports errors - the PC version reports no errors.

Now I dug into the recover log and found that one of the custom functions that I took from Brian Dunning's Page (GetNthRecordSet) brings an error on the Mac but does not on the PC - and I am speaking of the recover run only. The function itself runs perfectly ok on both systems.

I replaced said function with another one (GetFoundSet) that does the same in my context and I am happy now.

This is the part of the recovery-log with the errors on the said function (from Mac) - in German.

2011-07-30 10:38:41.905 +0200 PV-DB.fp7 0 Wiederherstellung: Eigene Funktion 'ListIndex' (20)

2011-07-30 10:38:41.908 +0200 PV-DB.fp7 0 Wiederherstellung: Eigene Funktion 'GetNthRecordSet' (21)

2011-07-30 10:38:41.911 +0200 PV-DB.fp7 0 Formel geändert

2011-07-30 10:38:41.915 +0200 PV-DB.fp7 0 Dieses Objekt wurde geändert

2011-07-30 10:38:41.919 +0200 PV-DB.fp7 0 Wiederherstellung: Eigene Funktion 'GetValueX' (22)

2011-07-30 10:38:41.921 +0200 PV-DB.fp7 0 Wiederherstellung: Eigene Funktion 'Validate_IBAN' (23)

I do not intend to follow this issue further - have a solutions and there are other nice things to do in life..

Thanks for your reply.

Peter

This topic is 4657 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.