Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM as FrontEnd for MySQL database - trouble after DB name has changed

This topic is 4661 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi to everyone.

On MySQL server I created database and called it (for example) TestDB with table Contact, wich has fields ID, f_name and l_name.

Then, I created DSN called MyDB with ODBC Administrator on my Windows 7 client computer and configured it to point to TestDB database.

In FM (v11 Adv) I created new External Data Source called MyDB, wich uses MyDB DSN as ODBC link.

I created simple application and... trouble here begins.

With ODBC Administrator I reconfigured DSN called MyDB so now it points to RealDB database on MySQL server. But when I run my FM frontend it shows data from TestDB database.

When looking for solution (by changing this and that with no success) I discovered, that naming convention in Relationship Designer (tooltip when move mouse cursor to upper left corner of the table frame in relationship designer) in FM11 id database.table. So eventually that means, that all my work is limited on my server database for testing purposes and I can not deploy that particular solution to other clients who need access to database with real data, wich is just the same structured as testing one, but named differently.

I checked some older solutions an in FM10 the naming convention was just simple table name with no "schema name prefix". But I do hope, I missed something... Becuase I really hope I do not need to rewrite solution from scratc, because in real life there is quite complicated data model with many relations ...

Any help welcome, how to make FM solution able o talk with RealDB.

Thanx in advance,

P.J.

Internally, FM stores the database name along with the table and column names. This so that you can include two tables with the same name from two different databases.

The implication of this is that you can change the server (by changing the IP address in your DSN), but the new server must have the same database name as the old server. If the database names are different (i.e. one is named "staging" and the other is named "production"), you will see exactly the problem you are describing.

If it's not feasible for you to go through and re-link your layouts manually, you might try contacting one of the FM tool providers out there that externally manipulate the FM schema (Dave Simpson at www.fmpromigrator.com, for example). It might be possible to perform a schema-wide "search and replace" on your database name.

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X

http://www.actualtech.com

This topic is 4661 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.