Server Maintenance This Week. ×

eMail a chart

RSGC

This topic is 4632 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Wondering if there is a way to embed an image of a chart I have on a layout in an email. I have not settled on any specific email technique/tool/plugin, so all options are on the table there. Essentially I have a group of users that I need to push some recent historic disk space usage info to. These user will NOT proactively come and check if they are using to much disk space. SO . . . I need to push the info to them. It would be great to show them in a chart right in the email last month or two of info. I have data and the charts working in FMP, but can not think of a way to grab an image of the chart, format an email, and send it.

I have looked at a bunch of email solutions, built in and plugin, and would consider any if I could accomplish this.

If this is simply not possible, I can display the info on a web page (FMP Server is available), but in that case I would want to embed a link in the email that took the user right to the users individual chart, in other words, I would want the link in the email to run a script and pass the user ID or something similar to the script so that the search would be done for them and they would go right to their usage summary. The URL is off topic for the Chart forum, but want to put all the options I can think of on the table.

Other options I have not thought of are welcome to, not stuck on "my way" -- just need a simple way to push this info out, and showing it in a chart rather than a table would make it much more obvious to these users. Thanks for any idea/help.

Mailing a chart is a three-step process: [a] get the chart image into a container field; export the contents of the container field; and [c] send mail with the exported file attached.

Another option is to save the entire layout showing the chart (and anything else you may want) as PDF, then send mail with the PDF attached.

OK, thanks. Sounds like no easy way to embed in the email then. I will explore the link to a web page I think. The above sounds a bit messy in as much as I need to do this for thousands of users. Seems like the above will be a lot of processing, more than is warranted. Thanks for the quick reply!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Mailing a chart is a three-step process: [a] get the chart image into a container field; export the contents of the container field; and [c] send mail with the exported file attached.

This way should be a standard procedure for accomplishing your request.

This topic is 4632 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.