Sudden confusion over something I thought I understood

Kevin_J

This topic is 4607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I thought I understood that different table views are simply that - VIEWS into the same table, like when you establish a self-join on a key and FM creates a new view for that table.

I also thought that data in a field in a table is the same data, no matter which view I am using to display it.

Extending that, if I enter or change data in a field using one view, that field will reflect the change to that field in any other view.

Now, I understand the concepts of filtering and lookups that might change WHAT you're viewing or HOW you're viewing - but not the DATA itself.

But I have a very strange situation that sure looks like my understanding has been wrong all along. Once I saw strange behavior, I set up a test situation where the same field, viewed twice in a single layout, with one instance of the field pointing to the initial table and the other instance of the same field pointing to a different view of the same table is displaying different data! How can that be?

I know I've provided no specifics here and can certainly do so, but is my basic understanding wrong? What could account for what I'm seeing?

Thanks for any thoughts.

- KJ

(now stumped and stuck)

What is the relationship between the two table occurrences? When you say "initial table" do you mean the table occurrence that the layout is based on?

the same field, viewed twice in a single layout, with one instance of the field pointing to the initial table and the other instance of the same field pointing to a different view of the same table is displaying different data!

Assuming "different view" means another occurrence of the same table: the "local" field instance shows the value from the current record; the other shows the value from the first related record.

• Newbies

Thank you both for replies. I have to find some time between projects to think on this a bit more, then do a better job of describing what I'm seeing. I think @comment is leading me toward an explanation.

This topic is 4607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.