Insert picture as button on server reference

This topic is 4648 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

Ive built a system on a single filemaker pro 11 edition and would like to test it in a server enviroment. The problem is that in my layouts (that relies on graphic) I have used insert picture, store reference only, to create buttons and other vital elements.

When I then move the database to the server I can not get the fm to find the graphics. I did assume that the link to the button picture was relative, and started from the database. But apparently not.

Or is there an image folder on the fm server 11 that I need to use? How do you solve the problems with your layouts?

I know I can copy paste, or store the graphic inside the database, but I would like to have it externally, since I probably will need to alter the original gif master files.

many thanks for any tips.

--------------------------------

Osx Lion server with filemaker server 11.

Woops!

Image references are resolved by FileMaker CLIENT, FM Server does not refer to those images and pass them down to the client.

Without modification you would need to issue the images to each client, and create the original folder and path structure that you developed with, but that will be almost impossible to deal with if you are going to modify the images.

Best route would probably be to store the images in a separate FILE and re-establish the "pictures" as related containers. Use the "x" (cartesian) join to a SINGLE TABLE in the file.

You can use File > Import > Folder to rapidly build your pictures in the file, but have a look in the help system about restrictions on file types. This will also overcome the problem you have not yet discovered when you have Windows and Mac clients as the file referencing is different on both platforms.

Thats a bummer. I must say I miss some elements from web programming, like the include function and image reference...

But ok, you say that include field is the best route, is this usually how things are done in larger systems?

If we skip the edit picture possibility, is there any bigger negative effects of including the graphics in the original fm file, it feels like an easier way to do it (my picture folder is now ruffly 2mb)?

Im not very keen on removing all pictures and then insert them again, so is there a automatic way to include the files, and just relink everything in all layouts, Or do I have to do it manually?

Layouts must be constructed manually, so no matter which route you choose you have to build them yourself. You cannot replace the referenced images automatically.

I suggested storing the gifs in a separate file because it would aid you quickest with your existing design, and would give the layout modification capabilities you mentioned. 2mb of graphcs is not large and FM layout design is much more native wih directly pasted images.

There should be no difference in performance between direct, or indirect images, as these are cached very quickly by FM client.

The most efficient graphics are the inbuilt FM tools, albeit quite dull and ugly.

This topic is 4648 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.