Path to Temporary Files

spongebob

This topic is 4613 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Sorry that shows the paths to the temp files the client uses. I want the paths to the temp files that the FM Server uses.

I think the directories to exclude in Windows 2008 R2 Server are:

C:\Applications (x86)\Filemaker\Filemaker Server\Data (the live databases) and

C:\Users\<my_user_running_fm_server>\AppData\Local\Temp

as well as

C:\Windows\Temp

Is that right?

Thanks for any input

Spongebob

Sorry that shows the paths to the temp files the client uses. I want the paths to the temp files that the FM Server uses.

No, the article is for FMS as well. Note that the temporary folder changes with each *session*. There is no single folder.

On the other hand, you should NOT be running any backup software on the box running FM Server.

Hi Vaughan,

well, I was always made to understand that one can do this, as long as one does not include the Temporary or FM Files that are open. Having respected that for years i never had a problem. I have several Servers where I use backup Exec and i exclude the relevant directories and that has worked for about 6 years now.

I do have a new problem now though with the introduction of Windows 2008 Bare Metal recovery; my folks here do insist they want to use the bare metal backup of Windows 2008 R2 Server on the FM Server.

Problem is; if you do a Bare Metal Backup you cannot exclude directories out of the backup so that the FM Files remain untouched. So my question is this.

Filemaker Server can open files on a second volume. That would solve the problem as I can put my FM Files on Volume D and make a Bare Metal backup of Volume C, the way my people here want.

However, can I redirect the Temporary files? Is there any way to get FM Server to redirect the temporary files? Or can I install FM Server on Volume D full stop to do this?

Is anyone here using the Windows Server Backup with bare Metal on a Filemaker Server?

If I do a Custom Backup I could do the backup and exclude directories but then I cannot do a Bare Metal Recovery.

What is then the best way to get a good easy backup of the server and protect my precious files?

Thanks

Spongebob

However, can I redirect the Temporary files? Is there any way to get FM Server to redirect the temporary files?

Or can I install FM Server on Volume D full stop to do this?

No the the first question. Yes to the second one. But be careful with these restoration programs. You would do better not to use programs such as Backup Exec on your FileMaker Server machine.

Steven

This topic is 4613 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.