Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Each User Account accesses only his unique layout

This topic is 4576 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a few employees accessing our database either on the local intranet or via web publishing, each with their unique account. Each one has his/her layout in which to enter data. Is there a way to allow each account user only to be able to access their layout? I have created a layout for each of them with different fields to enter data into.

I am having the problem that if I am on the main layout when they open the file, it opens on their computer in the layout I am viewing, and they are not savvy enough to switch between layouts, even with buttons I have created.

Thanks in advance for your help

Each one has his/her layout in which to enter data.

That doesn't sound like a good arrangement. `Why is this required - what exactly are the differences between the layouts?

they are not savvy enough to switch between layouts,

You could select the layout for them by running a script upon opening the file (this is NOT a security measure, just a convenience).

I am using Filemaker pro 11 Advanced. Each User is entering his data into his layout, because having all the fields on one layout is too crowded. I have a 'central' layout that includes all of their fields. They don't really want be burdened with logging in and then having to navigate to the layout that contains the fields where they need to enter data.

A script wouldn't work because all users who login will be sent to the same layout, which is not what I want. Each user should automatically be redirected to his layout. Do you know of any way?

Thanks so much.

Each User is entering his data into his layout, because having all the fields on one layout is too crowded.

That doesn't really answer my question. I think you are saying that each user needs their own layout because each user has their own set of fields? Now that really doesn't sound like a good arrangement. Perhaps if you provide more background about what are you doing, a better solution can be found.

A script wouldn't work because all users who login will be sent to the same layout,

No, that is a completely unwarranted conclusion. The Go to Layout [] script step has a 'Layout Name by calculation…' option - so the target layout can be calculated from the account name (not that it would be a good solution, though).

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 4576 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.