Server Maintenance This Week. ×

import or export runtime?

Charity

This topic is 4585 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I thought I read somewhere that if I create a runtime it can not import or export. Is that true? If so, why do people use runtimes? I can not imagine having a program that I could not get data into or out of. I have never created a runtime but I just got Advanced and want to try it with something I am working on.

Any other quick pros and cons or things to watch out for? If I understand, a person who wants to view data and run reports but does not have FileMaker can take a runtime and view, print, ... export to Excel? But how does data get updated in a runtime?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my request.

I thought I read somewhere that if I create a runtime it can not import or export. Is that true?

No.

If so, why do people use runtimes?

Typically, to distribute a vertical market single-user solution that doesn't require a user to purchase a FM client.

I can not imagine having a program that I could not get data into or out of. I have never created a runtime but I just got Advanced and want to try it with something I am working on.

Any other quick pros and cons or things to watch out for?

Yes. Single-user, no Save as PDF, no Charts...there are several features not included in a runtime.

If I understand, a person who wants to view data and run reports but does not have FileMaker can take a runtime and view, print, ... export to Excel? But how does data get updated in a runtime?

Data can be imported, exported or edited within the runtime. How would it be synched to a "master" FM file? Not easily. Better to look at FMGo or IWP or another copy of FM Client.

This topic is 4585 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.