Bottom of text missing on printouts

Mike H

This topic is 8381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The descenders are being cut off when previewing and printing. It only happens to some fonts. When using the same fonts in other software I don't have this problem. So the problem must be with FMP and not the font.

Does anyone have an answer?

Thanks

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by Mike H:

The descenders are being cut off when previewing and printing. It only happens to some fonts. When using the same fonts in other software I don't have this problem. So the problem must be with FMP and not the font.

Give yourself some extra space at the bottoms of you fields and layout parts. This will not affect the performance at all, but will give the fonts the extra space that they need.

As an example, say you have the words "William joins the party." and the font you chose needs 15 pixels above the line and 3 pixels below the line to show the entire letter. You may have created a layout object that is only 16 pixels high, but the font needs 18, FMP will simply cut off 2 pixels from the display.

This is what is happening.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

Give yourself some extra space at the bottoms of you fields and layout parts. This will not affect the performance at all, but will give the fonts the extra space that they need.

As an example, say you have the words "William joins the party." and the font you chose needs 15 pixels above the line and 3 pixels below the line to show the entire letter. You may have created a layout object that is only 16 pixels high, but the font needs 18, FMP will simply cut off 2 pixels from the display.

This is what is happening.

I have done this and it still doesn't work. I have tried making the field bigger, the part bigger and even the line spacing bigger and it still chops off the bottom of the descenders.

Maybe I need to speak to Filemaker about it?

Thanks,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by birdman:

Was the text entered directly in FM or imported from some other software?

The text was entered into a text field in Filemaker. This isn't the only time it has happened. I've had this problem with version 3 and version 4. Previously I've told clients that I can't do anything about it - but I would like to do something about it this time. I haven't called tech support because my past experience tells me that they won't be able to help - but I may as well try them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

I think ATM has a font smoothing option: try turning it off.

The font smoothing is switched off in ATM.

I have said in earlier posts that I don't have this problem in other software. I don't have this problem with software like Quark, Illustrator or Photoshop but in Microsoft Word, for example, I have similar problems. Is it the way that these programs handle type?

This topic is 8381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.