Scribe - ScribeDocSubstitute carriage returns

This topic is 3801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am currently doing some testing to see if the Scribe Plug-in will be suitable for a client. I have noticed that the ScribeDocSubstitute function strips carriage returns out of a field when it is sent to a Microsoft word document.

For example I have the following <<Postal Address>>

Which I am trying to replace with a calculated address field containing

123 Fake Street

Exampleville

QLD 0000

However, this is coming out as 123 Fake Street Exampleville QLD 0000

Is there any way to include the carriage returns in the substitution?

Last I heard they were thinking of working on this 'fault' which is a real frustration in what is otherwise a great tool. For some of my clients, I have got them to set up scripts in Word to replace <string> with "¶". That is, set up a calculated string at the end of each line in FMP with a given string instead of a return(¶), such as 'XXX' which is not likely to occur in normal circumstances. Then once in Word, manually do a replace of 'XXX' with '¶', or write a script in Word to do same.

Its not ideal, but all the other features and abilities this plugin offers might just outweigh this problem for you

• 2 years later...

Hello Adrian I have the same problem. The carriage is not working when I convert the report in .xlsx format. Can you guide me how to do your suggestion above using ScribeDocSubstitute? Is there a way to solve my problem?  Thank you in advanced :)

Hello,

It is unlikely that the posters in this thread will check back to respond since it is from 2 years ago. In the future, you should make your own thread if there is not a recent one with the same issue you are experiencing.

But to help with your issue: do you have the latest version of Scribe from the 360Works website? v1.402 is available for download and it should contain many fixes for handling carriage returns when using ScribeDocSubstitute. Go to this page and click the "Download the current version" link to download the newest update: http://360works.com/filemaker-pdf-plugin/

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I already download the scribe v1.402 at install it in FileMaker Pro 12. About this  "it should contain many fixes for handling carriage returns when using ScribeDocSubstitute". How can i do this? Sorry I'm just new using your plug in and I'm not yet familliar with some function here. Can you guide me. Thank you in advanced :). I forgot to say I'm using .xlsx format to convert the report in FileMaker.

Hello,

There is a demo file included with your download named "How to use Scribe" that contains many examples for all the different functions of Scribe. I recommend you look at this file to get a better understanding of Scribe. It also contains documentation on the different functions that clarify how they work and what you should expect.

ScribeDocSubstitute is only meant for Word documents. If you want to replace named fields or cells in other files, use ScribeWriteValue instead. 

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 3801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.