Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Another password question

pspafford

This topic is 8217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey kids.

This may be another question that can only be answered with "it depends", but I'll try: It's another question about giving out master passwords.

I may be getting a nibble on my first pre-packaged (non-custom) solution. I plan to have two prices. The first price will be for as is (you get the locked solution). The second price will be for the solution, PLUS all of the passwords.

Do you have any standard rate for what that second price would be (maybe as a percentage of the selling price). The person I'll be dealing with has used FileMaker before, so "sneaking" FM in isn't really an option (not sure I'd be entirely comfortable with that anyhow).

I'm not entirely sure how I will price my solution yet, but if you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks.

Paul

If you are providing technical support for your solution - DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT give away your master password! Someone who is not very savvy will trash a layout or a script or even the fields and will then want you to fix it for them.

If they really want to purchase your solution including all of the passwords, I would charge a whole lot more for it than selling it with just user passwords - at least double or maybe triple. I would also make it absolutely clear - maybe even having them sign some kind of legal agreement - that technical support will not be provided except for an additional fee(s). And when they come to you for help, make them pay dearly!

Also if you utilzied any plug-ins and hold a developer's license you might read the fine print. I believe some require that you can only distribute your solutions if they are "Locked"...

This topic is 8217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.