Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Fee Schedules

CyberSport

This topic is 8162 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all. I am at the beginning of a mini-explosion of clients and setting a standard fee is quickly becoming a major issue.

I began by offering a price per project price (it's an authenticated web/database combo), and then quickly discovered that it got out of control (should have read this forum first!). The basic program is the same (with of course enhancements I discovered along the way) but a great deal of customization for each new client. I reserve the rights to the product (the client only buys the license for their copy).

My question is how to factor in the original design cost into the price for each client. The model I'm thinking of is x% of the original cost plus an hourly fee for customization, but I want to make sure this sounds like a good idea.

Also, how to draw the line between tech support for existing features vs. support to adding new features (I leave portions of the project unlocked--it's one of the selling points).

Finally, I am in the middle of the patent/copyright process so any of you who have dared to brave these waters, I would appreciate any advice! (I've already read the previous threads in regards to this issue but real world experience, as to how difficult/expensive the process ends up being would be great).

Bevin

• 2 weeks later...

I have written a complete solution that runs like a stand alone program. I have time-outs (weekly, monthly and annuyal passwords that the computer generates and will regenerate the same password on any computer with an opening script. I use weekly and monthly passwords for demos and Each customer must call me annually for the update password - this allows me to see who is using my software and to sell an update.

Additionally each unit also has a limited number of users that can be expanded via the phone with a update password. I charge a fee for the number of registered users using my software. Tech support is given only to one person unless a fee is paid for another user - times the number of users.

I charge $500 for a single user license to use my solution on a single computer plus $200 for an annual update. Multi user version $500 plus $200 times the number of logged on users (I can expand the number of users over the phone by giving a unique password). Additionally the customer must buy Filemaker Pro to use my solution in a Multi User mode.

My program has 4,750 fields, 533 layouts and 1,375 scripts. Works FAST and GREAT.

I have been paid upto $10,000 to install on a single local network for telemarketing. Most of my customers are however Single Users.

In other words - I base my fees on the number of users - with annual update fees. I don't charge for the annual password (I could), but I have an opportunity to sell an annual update for $200.

SUGGESTION: Make your solution affordable, upgradable and updatable. Base your fees on the number of licensed users.

Lehoni

This topic is 8162 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.