Opening FileMaker Port On FM Server - Security Risk?

This topic is 4547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey Guys,

I am working with an organisation who has just moved to using file maker server, I want to open the file maker port on the server to enable remote access. However, I have been told by a few people that this is very risky and leaves the server vulnerable. Just wanted to see if you guys had any advise re this?

I know there is the VPN route, but in previous organisations I have worked with, this has been a hassle to setup and use.

I've got to present some evidence to management either way, so I would be grateful for any thoughts/sources.

Cheers,

Dan

Any access to a port is a potential vulnerability. The question is what is the actual risk of a threat agent's triggering a threat to exploit that vulnerability? Unless the organization "enjoys" a controversial public profile, I would just the risk level to be low. You should of course fully protect the files and the the server using the options provided.

A VPN can be used; however if your on;y reason to do so is for encryption, FIleMAker Server itself will do that.

Steven

I.T. folks always hate open ports. But I imagined a big part of the risk is that someone configures the machine wrong and what should be a dedicated port, is left open to other traffic.

Is there any history of successful exploits of a dedicated Filemaker server port to hack a machine? Wouldn't this require someone actually attack the FM server software and get it do something that it is not supposed to do?

This topic is 4547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.