Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker and PostgreSQL

This topic is 4483 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

Well, I have found myself in a bit of trouble. I need to be able to import from a postgres database and then write back to it when data in Filemaker changes. We are using Filemaker 11 and postgres can be 8.3x or 9.0.3; whichever will work.

Has anyone gotten this to work successfully? If so, how. [i have been working with the 360works people, but all queries fail with a cryptic error message.] I have attached the error message, and can post any other information that could help someone help me.

Thank you for your time.

*susan*

susan mcm tucker

pretty cool solutions

somerville, ma

I guess I am the only person on this forum trying to do this!

So, my experimentation to date has uncovered two options, both of which require a plugin. At this point, I have only worked on retrieving records from postgres. Writes and inserts are next.

First off is the JDBC plugin from 360 works. Though my relationship with this plugin began on shaky ground, with some help from Jesse Barnum, the plugin is now working with both postgres 8.3.x and 9.0.x. The data pulled over is well-formatted and requires no additional manipulation. The second option is SmartPill from scodigo. With some very simple PHP code, I can get all the data in arrays. Obviously, this requires some additional manipulation before the data is nested happily in the appropriate fields.

On Tuesday, I will return to the client office and run some speed tests on their network. Based on speed and ease-of-use, I will be able to make a decision and make the deadline.

*susan*

--

susan mcm tucker

pretty cool solutions

somerville, ma

cell: 617.694.1709

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Susan, not the only one.. I just did it yesterday ;) .. if you are using windows its free. if you are using Mac as I am I used the Actualtech driver (http://www.actualtech.com/product_opensourcedatabases.php). The set up is pretty strait fwd. Just setup your DSN to connect using the free windows driver or the Actualtech one and use it either on the import step or the execute sql.

For me it worked fine untill I found out that even when the server has the driver and the connection each client needs to have the connection configure :S ..

Are you using the plugin as a way to centralize the connections? or each client needs to connect?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The 360 Plugin was the best solution for my client. I did find a couple of bugs but the 360 folks rewrote the plugin to address the issues I found. We have been in production for 2 weeks now, and the only problems have been between my ears. Man do I hate sending code that has so many ""'". The filemaker calculation window is actually fairly difficult to read, and filemaker does LOVE a curly quote.

To save money, we purchased a 5-seat license and installed on selected machines and these users are responsible for all the SQL interactions.

Client is delighted, and we are expanding the number of SQL databases that interact with Filemaker.

This topic is 4483 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.