Multiple Pie Charts from the same table... sorted?

MariaAux

This topic is 4486 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am a newbie to charting, so excuse my newbie question.

I have a table of students, and I sorted the table view adding a summary count creating a nice graph of the gender breakup. Ok, now I would like to make another Pie chart depicting the breakdown of their grades. As soon as I resort the table based on Grades to add a summary count, the Gender Graph goes wonky... as it is no longer sorted.

Can I create multiple Pie charts from the same table but each based on a different sort of different fields?

Thanks so much in Advance,

Maria

I think I just found my answer here.. It seems that only ONE chart can be displayed on a layout depicting only one Summary of sorted Data. I can imagine most tables have several fields that needed to be charted, thus making it impossible to display a dashboard of charts about the data. If this is the case, then FM charts is rather limited, but then again, it is new and will probably be improved in FM 12?

Or am I mistaken and several charts from the same data (But sorted differently) can be achieved?

Thanks in advance

As mentioned in the other thread, it's not impossible - just not very easy. The issue is more general than charts alone: you will run into the same problem if you want to show sub-summaries by gender and by grade. You can have either:

Male: 35

• Grade A: 10

• Grade B: 20

• Grade C: 5

Female: 29

• Grade A: 12

• Grade B: 15

• Grade C: 2

or:

Grade A: 22

• Male: 10

• Female: 12

Grade B: 35

• Male: 20

• Female: 15

Grade C: 7

• Male: 5

• Female: 2

but not:

Male: 35

Female: 29

Grade A: 22

Grade B: 35

Grade C: 7

because a record cannot be in two groups at the same time.

Note that this applies to charting the found set; in many cases you could set the chart/s to use related data.

This topic is 4486 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.