FileMaker Pro Server 9 ODBC Connection Problems with SQL 2008

This topic is 4509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I currently have the following Setup:

1) MS SQL 7 Backend running on Windows Server 2000

2) FilemakerPro Server 9 (FMPS9) running on Windows Server 2003 SP2

3) FileMakerPro 9 (FMP9) running on Windows XP

The database is hosted by FMPS9 that makes an ODBC connection to MS SQL 7 backend to retrieve records. Access to the database records is done via FMP9 Clients that connects to FMPS9.

I recently upgraded to MS SQL 2008R2 for the backend running on Windows Server 2008. I am able to successfully establish an ODBC connection to MS SQL 2008R2 from FMPS9.

The problem that I am having now is that I am unable to access the databse records via FMP9. I get the hour glass then a timeout.

The strange things about this situation is that I can successfully establish and ODBC connection to MS SQL 2008R2 directly from FMP9 but not thru FMPS9.

So,

ODBC direct connection from FMP9 to MS SQL 2008R2 is fine. I can retrieve records.

ODBC connection from FMPS9 to MS SQL 2008R2 is fine.

But retrieving records using FMP9 via FMPS9 that connects to MS SQL 2008R2 is problematic.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you are using the ESS feature then you must stay within the supported back-end systems. I don't believe SQL 2008 was supported through ESS with FMS9. You'd need to upgrade to FMS11 to do this.

ESS works differently than just making an ODBC connection from the client (it does a lot more under-the-hood work).

• Newbies

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am using the ESS feature. It worked with the old MSSQL 7 database. It should work with MSSQL 2008R2 ?

Also, I have downloaded a demo version of FMSP 11 to test and found no difference.

Are you saying I should use FMP 11 client to get ESS to work ?

Thanks.

• Newbies

Just to narrow down the problem, I have done the following:

1) Used FMPS11 with FMP 11 client. Same problem.

2) Changed from MSSQL 2008R2 to MSSQL 2003 running on Windows 2003 Server. Same problem.

If I bypass FMPS 9 altogether and use FMP 9 Client to connect my database to SQL 2008R2 directly via ESS (Create a DSN on the client computer) then share the database with other FMP 9 Clients, then it works. Obviously, this is not a good permanent solution as FMP 9 is limited to 5 shares I believe and the performance and scalabilty of the FMPS 9 will be lost.

I am desperate for a resolution to this problem. It is mind boggling to me.

Thanks for any help you might extend to me.

Just to narrow down the problem, I have done the following:

1) Used FMPS11 with FMP 11 client. Same problem.

2) Changed from MSSQL 2008R2 to MSSQL 2003 running on Windows 2003 Server. Same problem.

If I bypass FMPS 9 altogether and use FMP 9 Client to connect my database to SQL 2008R2 directly via ESS (Create a DSN on the client computer) then share the database with other FMP 9 Clients, then it works. Obviously, this is not a good permanent solution as FMP 9 is limited to 5 shares I believe and the performance and scalabilty of the FMPS 9 will be lost.

I am desperate for a resolution to this problem. It is mind boggling to me.

Thanks for any help you might extend to me.

sorry

i am trying to figure out how to post

and barge in here to ask YOU

cause new to the Forum.

i see no place where i can post my question that i been struggling with over many full moons... how to run various scripts all from one global field ?

i got script names residing in 6 repeating fields. when i give a value (1-6) i want to run THAT script in that repeating field.

• Newbies

To robert lewis,

You should have started a new post under a different forum.

To answer your question, I have a solution for you that involves creating a portal that holds the name of the scripts that you would like to run when you click on the appropriate script name in that portal.

Attached is a sample FMP file (Zipped) that you can use as an example.

Script.zip

This topic is 4509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.