Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Mystery 'beep'

ron G

This topic is 3947 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FM Adv 11 on OSX

I have a pretty simple situation. There are a couple of navigation buttons (right and left arrows) that, when clicked goto next or goto previous record.

The 'mystery' comes into play when I navigate through my database, I get a beep on 'some' records'. It frequently is NOT reproduceable on the same record.

It also occurs when I open a new window with a new layout in that window.

Silence would be golden if I could figure this out. Your help is appreciated. Thanks

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ron,

Have you been able to track down your beeping problem yet? I have noticed a Phantom beep occasionally also, and have always attributed it to FileMaker losing focus because it just seems to be lagging.

Lee

I think I can confirm the beeping as FM lagging behind the pace of the user. Depending on the redraw requirements a layout might require, clicking the increment arrow twice in quick succession can produce the beep. This can occur when scrolling through script lines in the debugger as well . . .

RW

I just tried to navigate through my found set (67 records) at a pace of about 1 record per second. It still beeped unexpectedly.

This begs the question "Does FM expect users to navigate through the recordset at a pace slower than 1 record per second? weird.

• 1 year later...

Just an update: FMP still beeps in v12.x 

In my commercial solution, whenever a user clicks a button that's scripted to open a URL, FMP beeps and like you, I haven't found a solution to get around it. So, when users ask why the beeping I answer, "It's FMP confirming that you want to go to a website."

Moral: When it's a bug, turn it around and tell 'em it's a feature. :)

This topic is 3947 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.