Peer to Peer Sharing of Runtime

This topic is 4440 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I have created a runtime application that I would like to deploy on a server. I would then optimally like 2-3 pcs plus the server to have access to this runtime concurrently.

I have turned on filemaker network sharing for all fp7 files that constitute the runtime but that doesnt work.

What solution can I use that would allow me to implement network sharing of the runtime?

Thanks

I see after doing searches that the answer is no.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry no. You should host the file using FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server on a dedicated machine and have each workstation log in to the hosted file using their own licensed copy of FileMaker Pro.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If I was to host the file using filemaker pro on the server and have multiple workstations log onto the hosted file, does that mean that you can interact with the database from the server as well? Or it will only do the hosting?

Nextly, what about working on the same data at the same time? Can this be an issue or will the "host" server realize that and put a "row level lock" on the data?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can host a runtime database using FMS. It can then be accessed by people who are using the full FMP client program.

Runtimes cannot access files shared on FMS or FMP.

Well, you need to understand the "runtime". The "runtime" is really a cut-down copy of FMP that is bound to defined FMP files. The files and runtime engine are separate. The files are normal fmp files (with a different extension) and can be opened with normal FMP.

If you want to share the files the forget runtime completely.

If i was to get FMS, can i host the entire runtime solution? Meaning I see the executable, dlls, all the fp7 files, etc. What would i actually be hosting?

I would like to host the exe as its a nice self contained program. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's a loaded question... The server will certainly give you more features and better performance. IMHO, the question you should ask is whether you have the resources to install and maintain FMS. Also do not dismiss the option of using a hosting service.

This topic is 4440 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.