Export txt file to network drive

ckai

This topic is 4434 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've scoured the interweb globe for an answer to this but can't find anything that helps.

We have a Synology NAS that I would like to save a simple txt file file too. Basically, this file needs to be placed in a specific folder so another program can import the data. Obviously I can manually move the file once it's created on the desktop but thought it would be nice to have everything done for the user.

I don't know if it's my export path or the permissions on the drive or what. The folder on the drive I want to export too is mounted but I keep getting "helpful" errors saying it can't be done.

Basically, I want to know if a file can be exported to a drive like this and if so, what is the path I should be using?

I was thinking it would be easier to export the file onto the desktop then use Applescript to move the file to the right folder on the drive. Then I realised I didn't have a clue on how to right Applescript! I was thinking this option would actually avoid any issues I may have with permissions.

So any help would be rewarded with virtual beer/wine/whiskey whatever really :)

I decided to do some more self-taught programming and did some research regarding Applescript. I finally got there in the end, creating a script that copies the file over then deletes it off the desktop.

It is annoying I have to use Applescript so if anyone can shed some light of network paths etc, I'd love to just keep it Filemaker.

You could use a plug-in such as Base Elements to move the file. It then becomes a few script steps in Filemaker:

set variable [$pathFrom; value ("source path")]

set variable [$pathTo; value ("destination path")]

set variable [$result; value (BE_MoveFile($pathFrom;$pathTo)]

If you want to get the correct path information, set up a temporary script to use the BE_SelectFile function. This opens a file dialog for you, and passes back the path to any file that you click on in the dialog.

http://www.goya.com....elements/plugin

The plug-in is open source and is free.

HTH

Brian

Basically, I want to know if a file can be exported to a drive like this and if so, what is the path I should be using?

I don't know, but it should be easy to find out. Insert any file residing on the drive into a container field as reference only, then look at GetAsText ( ContainerField ). That should show the paths (relative and absolute), in the syntax you need to use.

You could use a plug-in such as Base Elements to move the file. It then becomes a few script steps in Filemaker:

set variable [$pathFrom; value ("source path")]

set variable [$pathTo; value ("destination path")]

set variable [$result; value (BE_MoveFile($pathFrom;$pathTo)]

If you want to get the correct path information, set up a temporary script to use the BE_SelectFile function. This opens a file dialog for you, and passes back the path to any file that you click on in the dialog.

http://www.goya.com....elements/plugin

The plug-in is open source and is free.

HTH

Brian

Thanks Brian, that plugin has some useful stuff which I'm going to look in to.

I don't know, but it should be easy to find out. Insert any file residing on the drive into a container field as reference only, then look at GetAsText ( ContainerField ). That should show the paths (relative and absolute), in the syntax you need to use.

Good little trick that comment, and as a result, I've now got it all sorted. Thanks heaps. I thought I was putting in the right path but obviously I had something extra in there.

And no I know how to (kinda) write Applescript so it's a win-win :)

This topic is 4434 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.