Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't copy Database with QT movies

This topic is 8470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Help!!! I've built a playtime video database with a QT movie on each record. It works fine

on Mac but I have also bound a windows version and found I had to re-insert all 400 movies!!

So now it runs on a windows platform but as soon as I try to copy the database, the movies won't run showing just the poster frame. The movies are cross platform with the .mov suffix and I've checked Quicktime for windows is available, and all the files reside in the same folder. Can anyone of you wonderful people save my *** with an answer??? The basic 2 questions are 1. Why does the database seem to loose the links to the movies when copied?

2. Why do I have to re-insert all the movies when making the windows version? Heeeelp

Cameron Shaw

quote:

Originally posted by Cameron Shaw:

Help!!! I've built a playtime video database with a QT movie on each record. It works fine

on Mac but I have also bound a windows version and found I had to re-insert all 400 movies!!

So now it runs on a windows platform but as soon as I try to copy the database, the movies won't run showing just the poster frame. The movies are cross platform with the .mov suffix and I've checked Quicktime for windows is available, and all the files reside in the same folder. Can anyone of you wonderful people save my *** with an answer??? The basic 2 questions are 1. Why does the database seem to loose the links to the movies when copied?

2. Why do I have to re-insert all the movies when making the windows version?

Your movies are all linked to a location. When you copy the database, that location changes. They are being moved from the "MacintoshHD:Movies" folder to the "C:Movies" folder. How is FMP supposed to resolve this?

Actually if FMP made its file references URLs or something that is standard, it would help. Although this suffers from some of the same problems as well.

In fact a solution would be to store your movies on a volume that is accessable to the web and simply put a clickable URL into your database. That way not matter where the user or database is, they can access the movies via the web browser.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.