New Container Field Training?

This topic is 3769 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ocean West writes:

A better way to handle documents and multimedia files

The FileMaker 12 product line helps teams and individuals manage the growing avalanche of digital content -- especially multimedia files.

Enhanced container fields in FileMaker Pro 12 support drag-and-drop to store, many file types such as PDFs, video, photos, audio, and documents. Files can be stored in the database or linked. Managing linked files just got easier as FileMaker 12 now automatically organizes files on disk and can even encrypt them for extra security.

Access to large files is faster as FileMaker 12 will now automatically generate thumbnails, and, when using FileMaker Server, will stream media files to connected clients. When running on the iPad or iPhone users can now record video and audio directly into container fields, and can stream out content using AirPlay.

I am very eager to learn bout these new capabilities, particularly the file-organization feature that I surmise would help keep the actual database file from bloating to massive size from ingesting image and video clips. I've purchased 12, but can't seem to find any explanation of this new system in the support docs or online -- just references to how great it is.

Any resources available on this topic?

Been waiting a long time for this!

Okay -- so I tried converting one of my Container fields to Remote storage using the "Open" flew option, and it seems to have worked fine . . .

Except that in the Image folder, in addition to all the expected .jpg files, each one is pairs with a similarly-titles .pct file. What's the function of these?

My images are very small -- generally 15-25K -- but these .pct files are 5-10 times the size of their mates, which seems like its going to multiply my storage capacity needs pretty dramatically, particularly when I start using higher-res images?

• 1 year later...

See the articles attached to my latest BLOG posting. One of them is all about remote containers.

Steven

was trying to look this up - is there a hard link to your blog site where this can be found?  tx

This topic is 3769 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.