Server Maintenance This Week. ×

General questions on sharing a database

This topic is 4414 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to FM and I have a few questions to ask.

I'm developing a small database for the company I work at and I was wondering what's the best solution I should come up with.

This database has been (and is still being) written in FMpro11 advanced and should be used by 4/5 persons.

Shall each person who uses the database buy a license as well? Maybe a FMpro11 license per person is enough?

Which is the most convenient way to share my database with my collaborators? I guess it should be hosted online to get "optimum syncing", am I right? (I see a lot of referencing to IWP and other ways to share your database but it's a bit of a mess and I'm confused).

Is there a way to use the database offline and upload updates later? I guess the best solution is to host the database on a domain and access it through the web, am I right?

Do I need to buy the server version?

Thanks a lot guys

Every user needs a copy of FM Pro. Get yourself a copy of FMP Advanced. Get a dedicated computer (with a UPS) to host the database and get FM Server to do the hosting.

If you do all this then everything will be optimal. When FM is set up right it works very, very well. If it's not set up right then it can be a world of pain, and sharing the files on a network volume instead of a dedicated host is the WORST way to do it.

If the company balks at the cost then look at the Annual Volume Licenses, 5 users and FMS is less than $1,000 a year.

For the moment keep developing with FMP 11, FMP 12 is not quite ready for production yet IMHO but it's really, really close. If you get the AVL then the upgrade to FMP 12 is free.

Thanks Vaughan, now I have a clear view on the set up I need. I'll keep developing on FMpro11adv and when I'll be done and the company will be on its full asset (5 database users etc.) I'll buy FMserver and all the other client versions of Fm I'll need.

Right now, as a temporary solution I'd need that the database could be shared between 2 people only. Is there a way to do this without setting up a server and buying 2 licenses fo FMpro?

Thanks again!

I 2nd Vaughan's suggestions (as usual).

I wouldn't worry about IWP or any web sharing technology yet. You would have to know and have a specific purpose to use this technology (like integrating with a website).

For your immediate need, you can use two copies of FileMaker pro. One copy will 'host' the file(s), and the other to connect. Both users can consume/use the information. Just make sure that the 1st never closes the file(s), otherwise the 2nd can't see them. There is a small bit of setup involved with this, and the documentation is well written to explain all of the details. **I would suggest this type of setup ONLY as a temporary solution, as it brings it's own problem (no backups, possible corruption, etc...)

This topic is 4414 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.